STRANGE WW1 Canteen, Modified, Red Cross? Pict heavy..

Keith

This WW1 canteen is in pretty nice condition but has been altered for another purpose. As you can see the belt hanger has been removed and two "D" rings added to the sides (very well done) so it could be carried with a shoulder strap. On the bottle is scratched ARC which could be AMERICAN RED CROSS. I would like the readers ideas on this. Thanks.

fe1019001a.jpg

fe1019001b.jpg

fe1019001c.jpg

fe1019001d.jpg

fe1019001e.jpg

fe1019001f.jpg

fe1019001g.jpg

I suspect this is a non-military alteration, possibly done for the surplus trade. I've never seen one like it but the work just doesn't look a military alteration to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Keith,

Your cover was obviously modified by having the original belt hook removed and the "D" rings added but this type of canteen was actually made before the war and has it's own designation. The original Rock Island drawings call this cover the "M1910 canteen cover for strap". If I remember correctly the original drawing specified a dismounted, mounted and "for strap" type covers. There have been a few posted on the forum in years past. I believe they were made for soldiers like corpsman who did not wear a cartridge belt and therefore wouldn't have any other way to carry a canteen. Here is a picture of mine.

Tim

post-192-0-18474200-1569292313_thumb.jpg