WWII Scrapbook USS SAN JACINTO.... Did the owner know George Bush?

KASTAUFFER

I recently picked up a Scrapbook that belonged to a LT who was a plank owner and served on the USS San Jacinto during its entire service in WWII. This ship had an illustrious history and is well known as the ship VT-51 ( President George Bush's Squadron ) flew from. The LT who owned this scrapbook was from Texas and seemed to be well known in the state. I am curious of Bush knew him? There are @ 200 letters in the scrapbook to read, so I had better get busy and see if they knew each other ! :D

Here is the title page

SAN_J_1.JPG

The original program for the commissioning of the San Jacinto. Also included is an original invitation to the wife of the owner of the scrapbook.

SAN_J_2.JPG

SAN_J_3.JPG

My favorite item in the scrapbook. This is a certificate bestowing citizenship of the Republic of Texas to the officers and men of the USS San Jacinto. This ship was well known to be weighted down with men from Texas .

SAN_J_7.JPG

If this guy was a pilot on the San Jacinto, you can bet he knew George H.W. Bush. All the pilots would have known each other on a small carrier like this and pilots tend to hang out with other pilots when off duty. I'm sure not only did the pilots all know each other, but also knew the other non-flying officers on board.

Very nice grouping.

If this guy was a pilot on the San Jacinto, you can bet he knew George H.W. Bush. All the pilots would have known each other on a small carrier like this and pilots tend to hang out with other pilots when off duty. I'm sure not only did the pilots all know each other, but also knew the other non-flying officers on board.

Very nice grouping.

Thanks Lee!

I do know he was the ship's navigator and not a Naval Aviator. I havent found any reference to Bush in his letters yet crying.gif

Kurt

• 9 years later...