Shot Mold - Steel, mold for 18 shots - Era? For what?

stratasfan

A friend has this shot mold, and we are wondering when it is from? Used for a particular gun or anything? Really would love to know anything about the era, etc.! She had guns from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War. They had been her father's collection, and this was with it.

This one has a little surface rust on it. What would you guess value would be? Also, if it didn't have rust on it, would it change the value? They have another that doesn't have rust on it.

Thanks for any help!

Elizabeth

post-151812-0-06398900-1567196831_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-88201900-1567196835_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-68516600-1567196839_thumb.jpg

what calibre ball does it make? .67 is the size of a Charleville with a .69 barrel. The .69 calibre barrel was used into the Civil War era when the rifle-musket brought a smaller bullet. The British was a little looser. I believe they used a .72 ball with a .75 barrel. It is hard to tell the age based by the pictures. It is a little unusual for these to be made of iron. The earlier gang molds are usually in brass. Also they typically had decreasing sizes to be used in battle as powder fowling built up in the barrel. Could be a modern piece for making replica balls for reenactment.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea! How would I tell the calibre? This is really not my area, so totally new to any of this!

• 2 weeks later...

First, squeeze a piece of play dough then measure it with calipers..alittle oil on the mold will help in releasing the balls.....however, I am with Doyler, I believe it to be a fishing weight mold. It is rather large for a bullet mold, fishing sinker molds were very, very common and found in huge quantities in the 30's-60's. Many internet examples of vintage bullet molds.