Found this in my pocket change last night

mikie

Found this in my pocket change. I had no idea this was even issued.

post-2687-0-78666900-1567180119_thumb.jpg

It's a US quarter dollar coin with the reverse honoring the War in the Pacific National Historical Park on Guam. I had no idea there was a National Park there either. Lots of stuff I have no idea about. Trying to cure that has been one of my greatest pleasures about this forum. But now I know, and you do too. Mine was minted in Denver, but it seems the Mint tossed out a few million from the West Point mint that have a "W" on the front. These are supposed to be collectible, if not too valuable. So go ahead and check your pockets! I'd love to know if you find a "W" coin!

Mikie

tdogchristy90

If it has a W mint mark, then they would have been minted at West Point. Clearly a goof on the mints part. So yes, if you see one it will be unique.

From what I read, they intentionally issued the West Point coins with the "W" mint mark as a marketing/promotional gimmick to drum up interest in the mint's commemorative coins.

The US MInt produced 10 million West Point mint marked quarters in 2019.

These coins were then mixed in the with general circulation 2019 quarters from Philadelphia and Denver, and then released to the public.

10 million sounds like a lot, but that is one half of one percent of the total 2018 quarter production, so it is a drop in the bucket.

This was done on purpose by the mint to increase interest in US Mint collectibles.

The W mint marked quarters have shown up, and some have sold for as much as $50, but the average price is much lower than that.

There are five different versions of the 2019 quarter, celebrating America The Beautiful.