WW1 era Navy officer sword from Brooklyn - or is it?

Bob Hudson

Last

post-55097-0-78816500-1567204719_thumb.jpg

Document of ad copy from a Steven Crain (aka gallowglass) ebay sale some years ago

Thurkle 1852This is a genuinely magnificent example of the US Model of 1852 Naval Officer.doc

This is a genuinely magnificent example of the US Model of 1852 Naval Officer's sword. It was made by Edward Thurkle, sometime prior to 1899. It is in gorgeous condition- clean enough that with a touch of shoe polish on the minor scratches on the scabbard, it could be carried today. However, it definitely dates to the years prior to the Spanish-American War.

Along with being in superb condition, this sword has some extra features that make it even nicer: each scabbard mount has additional embellishment, of what is sometimes referred to as the "admiral's pattern." There are large bands of oak leaves on each mount- two each on top and middle, one on drag. Additionally, the rings that hold the hanging rings are done in rope-work pattern, to match the knots on the mounts. The gilding on these mounts is virtually perfect. The sword hilthas very heavy decoration- cast more deeply than one normally sees. Additionally, the grip, which twists in the opposite direction as is normally found on US swords, has very nicely done triple wire wrap. The blade is nearly mint, and has the maker's name and address on one side of the ricasso: E. Thurkle, Soho, London. The other side has the proof plug with the "T" for Thurkle in the center, surrounded by acid etching. The majority of the blade is plain, but retaining 99 % + of its original polish. There are 5 minute freckles, otherwise it would be mint. The sword is of a size that would be appropriate for the Civil War, but was post-Civil War. The blade is 15/16 of an inch wide at the ricasso. The sword is 36 1/2 inches long, and the blade is 30 inches long.

In all probability, this sword was owned by either a flag officer, or an officer on staff in London. It epitomizes the sword maker's art, and is as handsome a model 1852 as one can find.

I don't own the sword.

Cheers

GC

Wow - that's a beautiful sword!

Back in about 1994/95 or so, a sword similar to this, but with even more grandiose embellishments popped up on one of the early online forums. It sold quickly for something around $500, IIRC, and I later saw it in Kaiser Bill's militaria shop in Pomona a year or two later, but the price on it at the time was $1000 or $1500...a princely sum for a guy who loaded trucks at UPS! :D

I've never seen a similar sword again - this one is close to it, but not fully as decorative as the other. I'd sure love to figure out what kind of sword that was and the reason(s) behind it.

Just a thought concerning any official published specifications for the USN officers sword. Back through the mid 1800s onward, in uniform regulations it gets described as a cut and thrust, blah, blah, blah, as per pattern. The officers sword was an item of personal equipment provided by officer uniform outfitters. I would wonder then, did the USN just design the style and etchings for the blade and distribute that to the uniform outfitters with instructions that any sword manufactured for the USN should look like this and decorated like this. You, the manufacturer, decide how hefty the blade has to be to be a useful weapon or uniform accessory.

The USMC non com sword would be a government issued item and no doubt have design specs specified for its manufacture..

• 3 years later...

Interestingly, I picked up a sword that I think has what's called the "admiral's pattern" on the scabbard mounts. @Horseclover based on your comment above (from four years ago!) do these look like what that fellow was talking about? This sword is quite odd and I'm trying to figure out what it is. 

Below are photos of it alongside a "standard" WW1 vintage sword I carried while I was in the Navy. 

navysword.jpg

navysword_1.jpg

navysword_2.jpg

navysword_3.jpg

navysword_4.jpg

navysword_5.jpg

navysword_6.jpg

navysword_7.jpg

navysword_8.jpg

navysword_9.jpg

navysword_10.jpg

navysword_11.jpg

navysword_12.jpg

navysword_13.jpg

navysword_14.jpg

navysword_15.jpg

navysword_16.jpg

navysword_17.jpg

navysword_18.jpg

navysword_19.jpg

Both swords are beautiful. I like that you carried the WWI sword while on active duty. It is a great way to show the younger generation the value of our naval history.