Two Tour Helmet Grouping as worn by Sgt. Johnson, 1-32 Inf, 10th Mountain Div near the Korengal Valley

AnDuc49

Hello all,

I'm very excited to share this helmet grouping which I purchased several months ago, but which only arrived yesterday. This particular helmet grouping contains items worn, used and picked up by Sgt. Brian Johnson of Combat Co. 1-32 Inf. "Chosin" 10th Mountain Div. during his two combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan respectively in 2003-2004 and 2006-2007.

During the unit's initial deployment to Iraq in August of 2003, what was intended to be a six-month deployment ended lasting for 13 months. During this time, Combat Co. 1-32 along with Battle Co. 1-32 and Engineers from the 82nd Airborne built FOB Chosin (later renamed FOB Iskandariyah) and conducted combat operations around it. Later on during the tour, Battle and Combat Companies would transfer over to FOB Manhattan located between Ramadi and Fallujah where they would complete their tour in September of 2004.

Following a period of rest and replenishment, the 1-32 Inf would once again deploy in February of 2006, this time again to Afghanistan as part of "Task Force Chosin". Similar to last time, what was initially planned to be a 12-month long deployment ended up lasting for 15-months. Initially, the unit assumed responsibility for Nangarhar, Laghman, Kunar, and portions of Nuristan Provinces, but was redrawn to focus mainly on Kunar and Nuristan Provinces (an area later made famous by the two combat documentaries Restrepo and Korengal which featured Battle Co. 2/503, 173rd after they relieved 1-32 Inf). Battle Co. 1-32 in particular focused their operations around the Pech River in the Pech River Valley in Kunar Province. The Company, consisting of three infantry platoons, the HQ Element and two mounted anti-tank platoons were stretched out across three outposts along the Pech River-Outposts Florida, Chicago and Florida, each about a mile from each other in their 30 kilometer long AO. They would return home in June of 2007.

This particular helmet is complete as worn by SGT Johnson during the unit's deployment to Afghanistan. The helmet band features his name "Johnson" on the front albeit heavily faded as well as a large carabiner which likely serves to retain the helmet goggles as well as his NODs when in use. On the interior of the shell, he's also written his blood type "O-Neg" twice along with C132J1734 (Combat Co. 1-32 and his roster number). The helmet itself is an early production MSA MICH produced on the 2nd of June 2003 with it's original heavily soiled pads and chinstrap. Similar to many helmets seen in 1-32 Inf, all items on the helmet are abundantly secured. The helmet band is secured in four separate spots, the goggles in six spots, the Rhino Mount (dated Oct. 2000) with it's J-arm is secured to the NVG mount which is in turn secured to the helmet band.

While against the norm and also regulations at the time, this helmet does not sport any helmet scrim although many soldiers in 1-32 Inf. can be seen sporting them on their helmets during this deployment. Thanks to a good friend who served in the 10th Mountain, I was able get further insight into this peculiarity. He said, "That [scrim] was SOP for all of 3rd Brigade. CSM Carabello at the time mandated it. The story goes he did it to his fire team when he was a team leader and so on all the way up to a Brigade. It was nicknamed 'Carabello's Hair'. It tended to get snagged on everything, so lots of dudes said f**k it and decided to not wear it. Just don't let CSM Carabello see you!"

After searching for photos of Combat Co. 1-32 during the deployment, it does not seem like any of the members ever used, or at least were wearing scrim at the time that the photos were taken in April of 2006.

While unfortunately I do not have any photos of SGT Brian Johnson (the grouping was purchased directly from the vet by another collector approx. 12 years ago and in turn I purchased it from him), I do think the large grouping makes up for it to some extent. I am currently in touch with his Company Commander and a few other people from his unit during that deployment, so hopefully I can learn more about his

Until then, I hope you like this as much as I do!

**Note** There are several items which I did not photograph. This includes two woodland ponchos he used on both deployments and his ID card holder. Besides that, everything else mostly has been pictured

post-154926-0-43072100-1567001553_thumb.jpg

Several souvenirs which then SPC. Johnson picked up during his time in Iraq. From left to right:
  • Montecristo Cigar Holder (Brand favored by Saddam Hussein) that was smoked on the day of Saddam's capture. It is unverified if this was one which was taken from Saddam's stash.
  • Butane Lighter with Saddam's face on it.
  • Pin marked to the Al Shaheed Monument / Martyr's Memorial. It is dedicated to Iraqi soldiers who died during the Iraq-Iran War.
  • Padlock which was used on the duffle-bag (no key though)
  • Five spent Iraqi bullets found on the battlefield
  • Two pieces of Shrapnel. In the words of the veteran, "Shrapnel from one of the many IEDs that almost killed me"
  • Grenade pin used by then SPC. Johnson when he was ambushed on Easter Sunday 2004 in Iraq

post-154926-0-27937700-1567002002_thumb.jpg

Boots worn by Sgt. Johnson during his tour in Afghanistan 06-07. Note that he has hand-written his blood-type "O-Neg" on the boot's collar. It has heavily faded over time due to exposure and use.

post-154926-0-29238800-1567002441_thumb.jpg

Medals and One Ribbon For his service. Includes:
  • War on Terrorism Service Medal
  • Iraq Campaign Medal
  • Afghanistan Campaign Medal
  • War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and Ribbon

post-154926-0-79959400-1567003066_thumb.jpg