6 replies to this topic

#1 Ant1942

Ant1942
  • Members
    • Member ID: 178,778
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

Hey everyone,

Is there a visual reference or does anyone know what PT Boat crewmen and officers wore while on patrol? I've heard some sources say they wore anything and everything that they could get their hands in but was wondering does that include army clothing as well like HBTs, Chinos/khakis (for the officers), OD helmets (i've heard both OD and Navy grey was actually common, but again I don't know) and low quarter brown boots (not the black). Any help about what the Mosquito men wore would be greatly appreciated 

#2 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:53 PM

One of our Honor Guard members from the Legion was a PT boat crewman and was WIA in pacific and still going strong at 96, he often talks of this time and has said they wore what they could get their hands on but mostly it was cut down dungarees and tee shirts.  I'll ask him next funeral we attend if they wore helmets, sure they did when in contact.

#3 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,588 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

If you google "PT boat crewmen" and look at the images, there are plenty of photos of what the crews wore and used both in the PTO and ETO

#4 29navy

29navy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 913
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

Yes, they wore what they could get. And it kind of depends where they were, too. In general, it was the dungarees for enlisted and khakis for officers.  But as things wore out and depending on where they were and how robust the supply system was, they scrounged for whatever they could find. The crews in England were a bit different than those in Italy (but similar) and completely different than those in the Pacific, but then, again where they were in the Pacific. There are plenty of pictures online (do a google search) that show the variety of items they wore.

#5 Ant1942

Ant1942
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

ive seen examples of enlisted men wearing hbts and JFK famously wearing a hbt style cap and sunglasses. Ive seen some pictures of crewmen with the dungarees but again some pictures are better than others regarding showing off what they wore. Thanks guys by the way. 

#6 Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,554
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:58 AM

Ant,

I may have some WW2 photos of PT boat crewmen and what they are wearing..

I will check and scan some images for you

Leigh

#7 Ant1942

Ant1942
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

Ant,

I may have some WW2 photos of PT boat crewmen and what they are wearing..

I will check and scan some images for you

Leigh

Oh that would be awesome to see for visual reference. Thinking of putting together a PT officer impression for a tribute to a PT vet I know and having good visual evidence/reference would be great for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users