4 replies to this topic

#1 mwesson030

mwesson030
  • Members
    • Member ID: 172,448
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Hi all,

Just arrived in the mail a few days ago and thought I would share. Besides a broken microphone boom and a few scuffs the helmet is in great shape. Interestingly there seems to be a painted over unit insignia in the shape of what I think is a bird talon that I have yet to identify.

On a side note, how did night vision work on these helmets? I see it has the velcro and some kind of loop involved but there isn’t exactly dedicated mount for the goggles.

Best,

mwesson030

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190826/fac4203eb9e8babf1f3499f4583e8f5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 mwesson030

mwesson030
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

Another shot of the insigniaPosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 mohawkALSE

mohawkALSE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,373
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:24 PM

That talon looks familiar but I cant put my finger on it.   That helmet might have been setup for the PVS-5 NVG setup before it was modified for the Cobra HSS, or it had the ANVIS V2 bracket at one time and was removed.  With the HSS setup, the V2 bracket mounted offset on the front left of the visor housing.  It also utilized the center visor slot for the lock knob to hold it in place so the visor cannot be using with the ANVIS mount is installed.  Those mounts pop up time to time on ebay.  People sometime think its the style for a HGU-84 since it has the plastic plate behind the ANVIS mount.  Looks totally different though, and lots of them that Ive seen are missing the adapter plate that mounts in the lock knob slot in the center.  If you find the AN/AVS-6   -10 from around 1991, it will show the V2 mount for the Cobra HSS.  I actually have a new  V2 PAS for the AVS-6 goggles.  Was thinking if one day I ever got a SPH-4 with the HSS and V2 mount I could change over the pair of V1 AVS-6 goggles I have to the V2.

#4 mwesson030

mwesson030
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:18 AM

After a bit of digging and asking around I found this - 2/101 ABN. Possibly a match?

Posted Image

#5 mohawkALSE

mohawkALSE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,373
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Found a pic online that was decent for showing the offset viewer mount for the PVS-5 GM-2 or AVS-6V2 goggles. 

Other note, the Adel clamp on your visor housing is indeed for the power cable of the NVG mount.  You can just make it out with the cable in this pic.  You will see alot of ANVIS setup SPH-4 and 4B helmets with those adel clamps.  The one that comes with the viewer mount is cheap aluminum so were swapped out.

Attached Images

• AH1HSSV2OFFSET2.jpg

Edited by mohawkALSE, 26 August 2019 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users