Garand and carbine stock cartouches

Okie96

At a flea market right now and found a Garand and carbine stock with carouches. SA GHS. Have Harrisons template with me but the marks dont quite line up. 50 for Garand, no hand guard or metal and 75 for carbine with handgaurd. Thoughts?

It all depends on other features - like the Carbine stock is probably retail if it's an M2 "pot belly" stock.....if it's an M1 stock with an "I" cut sling opening, $75 is a very good deal. The M1 stock is probably an OK deal....AGAIN, without pictures very hard to say. ALSO, remember that reproduction stamps exist...so they could be "enhanced" items. If they were $10 each, it'd be worth a gamble.

If you can find a real SA/GHS stock with a real SA/GHS cartouche in anything other than firewood condition for $50 it is a steal.

That said, these days there are more fake cartouches on both GI and reproduction wood in the market than the real deal.

No Carbine stock should be marked SA/GHS.

Good pics of the markings are a must. You may want to do some research on the accuracy of Harrisons books and drawings.

Okay thanks. Still looking through Harrison’s book for internal details. My phone camera pics are to large to post unfortunately. The Garand stock also has ordnance estcheon and two or three for eagles.

Yeah, I left both of them there. Way to many red flags between Harrison, what stamps date from when and what's being said here. GHS stamp was back behind the receiver rather than below it as well. Thank you all for the help though.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely agree but I have actually been fooled many times with fake cartouches it is just amazing what people will put on things in order to sell them why cannot they understand that history is to be left untouched and prized

I absolutely agree but I have actually been fooled many times with fake cartouches it is just amazing what people will put on things in order to sell them why cannot they understand that history is to be left untouched and prized

There seems to be a rash of that lately on eBay, there have been a number of stocks (Garand) that have near perfect crisp cartouches but the stocks themselves are just about roached......