Thrift Store Halloween Section Uniform Finds 2019

milsurp_scout_14

easterneagle87

Just making the rounds at the local GW, checking if anything new. This is an interesting woodland patterened BDU, Agency tape on the left breast pocket, "D O J". Nothing I needed so I passed.

post-9131-0-86443400-1568152668_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

Nice scores everyone! That DOJ top is representative of some of the 'irregular' stuff that surfaces. Last week I found a multicam top with patch that said 'DOD-Civilian' and a simple 'US' where the rank patch usually goes. Other than a USMC marked OG107, haven't run across anything else great recently.

• 2 weeks later...

So goodwills in my area finally just got their holloween costumes out and while I didn't find anything spectacular I did find some eagles for only $12 that fit with my airborne trend. The choclate chip uniform is probably from a desert storm vet but is unfortunately missing the patches on the right sleeve leaving the ghost of a flag patch and a large circular patch that is a mystery to me. The transportation corps officer uniform is missing all the chest insignia, including the jump wings that used to be there. Sadly neither have a name in them so I cant tell if they belonged to the same individual or even what year the officer jacket might be.

post-193671-0-73715000-1569016977.png

I played this game yesterday, and went to a Goodwill where I have NEVER pulled anything out of. I have also never had a Halloween find, so I was curious what might turn up.

Remarkably there was a modern USAF nomex flight jacket on the rack with reverse velcro for a USAF MAJCOM, a shoulder flag and maybe a squadron patch. Of course, no patches in the pocket. A bargain for someone I am sure, and a size 42-44 without a mark or tear on it. (It didn't fit me at all!)

I put it back. I have a whole boatload of stuff to start selling and the last thing I need is more. As my wife put it, now little Johnnie or Janie can pretend they are a Red Flag/ Top Gun pilot!

Of course, I told her if it had been an older MA-1 or L2B with hand embroidered patches made in Thailand it would have come home! That, she understood.

On the DBDU with 101 ABN DIV SSI, I think the large, round SSI was a Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) insignia for the Sinai.

Thanks for the confermation, I had actually just discovered an example with the MFO patch on the forum and realized what it was. Unfortunately, that means this is not from desert storm and it is more questionable if the other uniform is from the same individual since I do not believe that the MFO qualified for overseas bars. What are the odds of the uniforms of two different individuals from the 101st showing up in the same place tho?

I played this game yesterday, and went to a Goodwill where I have NEVER pulled anything out of. I have also never had a Halloween find, so I was curious what might turn up.

Remarkably there was a modern USAF nomex flight jacket on the rack with reverse velcro for a USAF MAJCOM, a shoulder flag and maybe a squadron patch. Of course, no patches in the pocket. A bargain for someone I am sure, and a size 42-44 without a mark or tear on it. (It didn't fit me at all!)

I put it back. I have a whole boatload of stuff to start selling and the last thing I need is more. As my wife put it, now little Johnnie or Janie can pretend they are a Red Flag/ Top Gun pilot!

Of course, I told her if it had been an older MA-1 or L2B with hand embroidered patches made in Thailand it would have come home! That, she understood.

That is a pretty neat find, it is unfortunate that a lot of things are missing thier insignias with no pattern to the maddness. Today I saw a 1969 dated marrines dress uniform that had everything except for the rank and service stripes stripped from it (even the buttons). At the same time I found a vfw uniform that still had all of its ww2 ribbons on it.

My favorite yearly tradition and thread celebrating it! Here's what I've found so far.

1_front-1-678x960.jpg

tag1-649x960.jpg

tag2-509x960.jpg

This was found today:

1_front-749x960.jpg

div_patches-867x960.jpg

medic_wings_branch-943x960.jpg

tag-637x960.jpg

Looks like a medic's shirt but with 2 division patches. A friend told me that it's a legitimate combination and this soldier served in the 101st and 1st cav at different times, maybe doing recon stuff.

Unfortunately "Henderson" seems to be a common name for both people and 20th century military sites so I'm having trouble finding the former owner.

My favorite yearly tradition and thread celebrating it! Here's what I've found so far.

1_front-1-678x960.jpg

tag1-649x960.jpg

tag2-509x960.jpg

This was found today:

1_front-749x960.jpg

div_patches-867x960.jpg

medic_wings_branch-943x960.jpg

tag-637x960.jpg

Looks like a medic's shirt but with 2 division patches. A friend told me that it's a legitimate combination and this soldier served in the 101st and 1st cav at different times, maybe doing recon stuff.

Unfortunately "Henderson" seems to be a common name for both people and 20th century military sites so I'm having trouble finding the former owner.

Vietnam era.Not uncommon to see a Airborne tab above the Cav patch.Many of the early/initial 1st Cav were Airborne qualified.The 1/8 Cav was known as the Jumpin Mustangs.Would say the vet either had a second tour with the 101st or was assigned to them after returning from a tour with the 1st Cav.

The airborne tab means the unit is designated as "Airborne." In this case, I believe, the airborne brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division. I forget which brigade it was. The tab is part of the SSI for the organization. The wings are what shows the individual soldier is airborne qualified. The 1st Cav Div SSI being on the right means it is that soldier's former wartime Unit SSI.

So, are these "Halloween racks" at Goodwill a West Coast thing? Living in the Midwest, I have never seen Goodwill or Salvation Army do something like this.

The Goodwills and like stores here in the NW keeps us real busy around Halloween time! Always got to be going by them. Already found two ERDL (green and brown) tops and bottoms! One is USMC marked on pocket. Will try Roget some pics posted soon. More white label, early dated, Elvis collared BDUs are showing up and figured if they are cheap enough, might as well get them and hang onto for when they become 'the thing' to collect! Some are patched up nicely with VN era, right arm patches, Scored a one star top last year but no name.

milsurp_scout_14

That 1st Cav/ 101st OG107 is awesome!! So is the 101st chocolate chip!! Been buying every DBDU I run across...patched examples seen hard to find.

I had another great find today, my first WW2 Marine items! I decided to hit the second goodwill in my city after school because far they hadn't put any uniforms out. I was pleasantly surprised to find a complete set of quartermaster issued USMC dress blues that were dated 1941-1942. The jacket has a nice embroidered felt Ship Detachment patch and is relatively moth free and unmessed with except for missing the EGA. All items are named to Kenneth W Ehrenfelt so it looks like I will have to get an Ancestry account to research his record. I can post a better photo of the jacket if anyone wants to see it, I just wanted to get it so it showed the entire grouping.

post-193671-0-35477500-1569621786.png

post-193671-0-05226100-1569621798.png

I had another great find today, my first WW2 Marine items! I decided to hit the second goodwill in my city after school because far they hadn't put any uniforms out. I was pleasantly surprised to find a complete set of quartermaster issued USMC dress blues that were dated 1941-1942. The jacket has a nice embroidered felt Ship Detachment patch and is relatively moth free and unmessed with except for missing the EGA. All items are named to Kenneth W Ehrenfelt so it looks like I will have to get an Ancestry account to research his record. I can post a better photo of the jacket if anyone wants to see it, I just wanted to get it so it showed the entire grouping.

Wow what a find!

Here's his BIRLS data:

Name: Kenneth Ehrenfelt Gender: Male Birth Date: 24 Aug 1916 Death Date: 11 May 2000 Cause of Death: Natural SSN: xxx-xx-3207 Branch 1: M Enlistment Date 1: 9 Mar 1942 Release Date 1: 22 Sep 1945

Name:

Kenneth W Ehrenfelt

Muster Date:

Apr 1942

Private

Station:

Fourth Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Marine Corps Base, San Diego, California.

Name:

Kenneth W Ehrenfelt

Muster Date:

Apr 1945

Corporal

Station:

Riple Range Detachment Marine Barracks, Parris Island, South Carolina

Application for Iowa WWII bonus:

Name: Kenneth Ward Ehrenfelt Birth Date: 24 Aug 1916 Birth Place: Kalona, Iowa Application Date: 10 May 1949 Application Place: Kalona, Iowa, USA

Kurt Barickman

Halloween is not big here in the Bible Belt,

Virtually nobody does the dress up thing

I haven't yet seen any of the thrift shops holding back Halloween items

Tha

Tom Bowers