White Liners

Nickman983

Just picked up my third white liner so I figured I'd post some pictures and ask some questions regarding white painted liners. I know often white liners are associated with being used for fairly mundane reasons (i.e. civil defense, VFW, parades, etc). I was wondering though were liners ever painted white for reasons other than dress or use by non-military organizations? I don't think I've personally seen too many examples that don't fall into either of those categories so I'd be really interested in seeing some examples should anyone know of any.

In any case, here are my three white liners

post-169952-0-46076500-1566267478_thumb.jpg

First one is a St. Clair I picked up a while back, I'm thinking this one was civil defense, but I can't make out exactly what the decal was. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows what it might be.

post-169952-0-21182800-1566267509_thumb.jpg

Second one is an IMP I just picked up. It looks like the liner was painted white twice and it looks like there are decals of the letters "SP" on the front.

post-169952-0-92961900-1566267567_thumb.jpg

The seller claimed it was a "shore patrol" liner and had a second one with the decals exposed. Here is that liner for reference

post-169952-0-23406700-1566267671.jpg

Has anyone seen these decals before and have an idea of when they were used and what for?

Last one is a westinghouse I picked up a month or two ago. This one has the remnants of an EGA decal on the front. Anyone know when ega decals were used and what purpose a liner like this may have served?

post-169952-0-17381900-1566267727_thumb.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Its like lightning in a bottle but I have seen some of these painted liners turn out to be Inland Airborne. Always turn them over and look at the webbing!

Its like lightning in a bottle but I have seen some of these painted liners turn out to be Inland Airborne. Always turn them over and look at the webbing!

That's what happened with the St. Clair. Found a fixed bail in a surplus shop and looked around to match it with a WWII liner, lo and behold the first WWII liner I stumble upon is the St. Clair. Got both for $100 total

high school ROTC

Fire Watch

NCO Safety

Traffic Police

Security Guard / Night Watchman

Thanks for the info! I hadn't considered some of those uses.

I have 3 solid white liners, two are Hawleys . All 3 are nicely matched to medics pots.

Very nice! I'd be very interested in seeing the Hawley liners if you're willing to post some pictures or can link me to a post on them. As of now I have the white IMP liner paired with my medic helmet so it's good to hear that a white liner might make sense with a medic helmet!

Salvage Sailor

Second one is an IMP I just picked up. It looks like the liner was painted white twice and it looks like there are decals of the letters "SP" on the front.

attachicon.gifliners 03.jpg

The seller claimed it was a "shore patrol" liner and had a second one with the decals exposed. Here is that liner for reference

attachicon.gifliners 04.jpg

Has anyone seen these decals before and have an idea of when they were used and what for?

The sellers photo of the SP liner does have the typical block letter decal for Shore Patrol, same style as the USN SP armbands (brassards to you Army types)

SP Helmet Liner.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

The sellers photo of the SP liner does have the typical block letter decal for Shore Patrol, same style as the USN SP armbands (brassards to you Army types)

Thanks for the information! I wasn't sure if the seller was just trying to make the liners sound more appealing or if they were actually the style used by Shore Patrol units. The one I ended up with has the ghosts of the SP marking on the front. It looks like it may have been the same decal but was painted over at some point. Any idea about when this style of decal was used?

Very nice MP liners! I'm hoping to eventually pick up a WWII MP liner and/or helmet myself at some point myself. From what I've been told one of my great uncles served as a MP. Unfortunately our family does not have anything from his time in the service. Thank you both for sharing!