St. Clair help

airborneguy44

airborneguy44

Hi all,

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to have been able to purchase a fixed bail with rayon St. Clair liner. The webbing is in great condition and all snaps the there. It has no sweatband, and was planning on adding one except there are two snaps from a previous sweatband that are still attached. Does anyone have a safe way to remove these? I can add a picture later for better understanding. Thanks in advance!

Hey ABN,

1. A photo please?

2. Photo independent, I would likely leave the original snaps in from the previous, just throw a small zip tie (Loose not tight) around where the original sweatband snaps were, once you place a new one in. I would assume that we are talking about the old sweatband snaps eroded off the former sweatband from use. I think it is part of the story of the liner. Again tho, having a photo would help, if it was a mint/ex condition hardly used one might be a different thought.

VR

Peg6

Try using a small screw driver and prying them from the side. Take your time a work around the circle of the snap. You should be able to get them out that way. Don't pull on the webbing whatever you do.

Try using a small screw driver and prying them from the side. Take your time a work around the circle of the snap. You should be able to get them out that way. Don't pull on the webbing whatever you do.

To add to what Pudgy suggested...I would also use a set of needle nosed pliers to hold the base portion and to also compensate for the pressure from the screw driver. This way the snap is not pulling against the webbing...if that makes any sense?

TH1

airborneguy44

I was thinking something similar to what everyone is saying. I was planning on using two pair of tweezers and carefully pulling the snaps apart

I agree with the other guys

I’ve used the same method myself to deal with the same problem on several occasions, as suggested a small flat bladed screwdriver in between the male and female snap, wiggles it from side to side and move it around the snap and it should pop out.

Avoid any release fluids they’ll stain the webbing, I’ve tried long nosed pliers but they weren’t successful and can damage the snaps.

again.. why rip out something that was shown as period used?... when u can go right over it and without damaging either and loose small cable tie and have it in place...

RememberThe5thESB

I kind of agree with that as well. Leaving evidence of prior use is actually pretty cool to me. And helps show a story. Plus it's a good looking liner, why risk ripping the rayon by removing the snaps?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

A butter knife on either side works them up quick I found. Just use the dull edge though. Hand on the top of the knives, other on the handle and squeeze gently

I have been successful several times by using a pair of wire cutters. Place the "jaws" between the male and female snap where they are joined and slowly squeeze. As the jaws are wider toward the outside of the cutters, they will slowly spread the snaps apart when squeezed.

airborneguy44

I tried the flat head screwdriver method and it worked like a charm! Another question: the heat stamp is O468. Any clue on how to date this?

I use a screw driver on web gear also, especially gear that has been used hard like early Marine corp. items. I'm also very careful with Para liner snaps. I think it is best to leave snaps unsnapped or rub a little bit of gun oil on the male and female ends, but be careful not to stain the gear though. It only takes a little bit on a Q-tip.