Even ratty moth eaten patch can fetch money

mortaydc60

Saw this sold on eBay for over $350 and had a number of bidders. This is a very rare and much sought after patch for the 8th Army Air Force Ferry CMD also called Russian Shuttle. They do not come on the market very often and can only imagine what one in good shape would bring.

post-565-0-21520900-1566153761.jpg

post-565-0-38535200-1566153775.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting point of view. I agree with the rare part but it is definitely ratty. Just had discussion with a very advanced collector about this subject. The question in the discussion was would you buy a rare patch in poor condition? He said he would not and only wanted mint examples in his collection. We were talking about a rare badge that only 100 are known to exist;and he had a chance to buy one that was in poor condition but passed. I took a contrary view and would buy even in poor condition just as Wake 1941 believes. Oh by the way have two for sale.

I would probably pass on a ratty/rare patch. It makes selling them in the future much more difficult. You now have to find another collector who will also accept poor condition. Just complicates things more.

I think this is a good entry example, Id buy it and keep it until I found one nicer. But Id make sure I didnt pay more than I could sell it for in the future. I think Bill sold one of these years ago in good shape close to 1K but that was a different market.

Agree with Wake in that I would hope to find another knowing that I atlas had one in collection and of course base price on condition. Which in fact this example was, in that it is a rare patch and not in great condition and sold for a fraction of what a mint would sell. Atleast buyer hs one in his collection and who knows when the next one shows up perhaps in 10 or 20 years.

Precisely I dont see these come up for sale that often but also if I remember correctly this had some documentation too which may have boosted the value

warcollect1942

I have my own museum. After hearing comments from guests I only collect quality. They can see condition but they can't see rarity.

Sorry to hear you say they cannot see rarity. You can't see rarity if you do not know what is rare. So why not just put out a beautiful mint set of reproductions of rare patches and they see all the quality condition they can ask for. That maybe fine for the casual museum goer but I hope not for a collector. How many times have you been to a museum and all you see are new issue or out right reproductions in the display cases. Very disappointing.

I have my own museum. After hearing comments from guests I only collect quality. They can see condition but they can't see rarity.

I'd take this patch and put it in my collection in this condition. Y not? That's shallow attitude IMO. Sometimes things come to you the way they are: Case in point, I found an attributed Alamo Scout patch that I purchased from the grandson of the scout. He proved it with photos and it's in not the best shape in the world, but I snapped it up and I'd bet a lot of people on this forum would have done the same thing.....

warcollect1942

If I went to a museum and saw any repro I would be running for the exit. There is nothing beautiful about reproductions.