Stolen engraved DSC returned to grouping after two years

24th_infantry

24th_infantry

As some of you are aware I was very good friends with a WWII fighter pilot named August DeGenaro. About two years ago his cases DSC was stolen from my house and sold on eBay. Unfortunately I was fighting a losing battle with cancer and, although I filed a polic report, it seemed hopeless that I would ever get my friend's medal back and reunite his grouping. Last week I finally came back on the forum and toy surprise found message in my inbox from only a few days ago. It was from a member on the forum asking for information about August because he had purchased his medal recently. I explained my situation and what had happened to me. Well, after talking this amazing man informed me that he will be returning the medal to me as to reunite August's grouping. The medal has been shipped and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival after two years of heartbreak. Although I am still fighting this rare cancer with pretty much no hope of finding a cure and just having started a brand new chemotherapy, my spirits have been lifted with this amazing news. I want to thank Bobertizkewl. This is the greatest news I have had in a long time!

I too was previously contacted by a forum member who stated that he had purchased the medal off of eBay and offered it to me. I paid $500 on the medal and then the seller decided I had taken too long to pay the balance so he canceled the sale and refused to refund my money. This is twice that I feel that I have been screwed on this medal.

Allan

24th_infantry

The medal is returning to the grouping. I have Lt. August DeGenaro's summer flight suit and his dress tunic. The cased medal was stolen from me two years ago. It exchanged hands a few times before I was contact by this kind-hearted member. So all of Lt. DeGenaro's items will once again be together and I will be making sure that they are kept in a safe and secure location. August was like a grandfather to me and there is not a day that passes where I do not think about him. Tomorrow I will post photos of the reunited grouping.

Good news and Bravo Zulu to the guy that returned it! AS far as Alan being pissed he did not get a stolen medal TS!

I know a bit what you are going thru but no demo for me so far. Different cancer. Best of Luck!

Good news and Bravo Zulu to the guy that returned it! AS far as Alan being pissed he did not get a stolen medal TS!

I know a bit what you are going thru but no demo for me so far. Different cancer. Best of Luck!

I think Allan was pissed because the seller kept his $500 down payment. That should have been returned,

Kurt

Bobertizkewl

This medal has definitely had an interesting journey over the last few years as documented by a few different forum posts. I acquired it in October 2018 and it has been in my possession until I learned about it being stolen property. After which, it was promptly returned to its original owner at no cost. I've had nothing to do with this medal before October 2018 and have not made any attempts to sell this medal while it was in my possession.

24th_infantry

Thanks Bobertizkewl for everything! To everyone who read this, yes the medal was returned to me after a very long journey. It will not be let out of my sight and I will be keeping it very safe. It's a great feeling knowing that there are amazing people out there like Bobertizkewl. Best wish to all those out there searching for their lost or stolen items. I can only hope that they find their way home too.

Any chance of prosecuting the dirtbag who stole it?

That is a good question...since the person who stole it turned it on eBay, his/her address and identity are/were available.

I would assume that with a police report that was filed and their identity known, the person was prosecuted for the theft.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the person who stole the medal?

I would not be so quick to go after the Ebay seller, I have some experience dealing with thieves, a lot of them turn stuff like this over quick either to a local pawnshop, antique store or something along those lines! That gives them cash and no way for the transaction to be traced back to them. The ebay seller may have just been a victim or circumstance who happened to get the medal either as a business owner or from a local shop. It is really impossible to say who the original thief was!

On a side note what an amazing thing for Bob to do! Clearly a great man with a kind heart who looks out for others! I hope you have some good karma coming your way because you certainly deserve it!

Dunno about that.

Reputable pawn shops have pretty strict rules they need to follow to retain a brokerage license - assuming that is what happened. I would definitely pursue it, as crooks rely on the fact that most folks do not. Even antique stores keep close tabs nowadays, as you do not want to be the person at the end of the line holding a stolen item.

More importantly than anything is that the medal has been returned; that said, an honest person is out-of-pocket, which does not feel right.

I would not be so quick to go after the Ebay seller, I have some experience dealing with thieves, a lot of them turn stuff like this over quick either to a local pawnshop, antique store or something along those lines! That gives them cash and no way for the transaction to be traced back to them. The ebay seller may have just been a victim or circumstance who happened to get the medal either as a business owner or from a local shop. It is really impossible to say who the original thief was!

On a side note what an amazing thing for Bob to do! Clearly a great man with a kind heart who looks out for others! I hope you have some good karma coming your way because you certainly deserve it!

Dunno about that.

Reputable pawn shops have pretty strict rules they need to follow to retain a brokerage license - assuming that is what happened. I would definitely pursue it, as crooks rely on the fact that most folks do not. Even antique stores keep close tabs nowadays, as you do not want to be the person at the end of the line holding a stolen item.

More importantly than anything is that the medal has been returned; that said, an honest person is out-of-pocket, which does not feel right.

They do have strict policy they are "supposed to follow" but those policies are like all laws and policy's. Many of these people are the same people who will tell an old lady they have silver plate instead of sterling so they can scam them out of money. I know all about the fact they are supposed to record all items bought with drivers license number, address etc and technically purchased items are not supposed to be sold for 30 days. These rules I would say are largely not followed and thats just what I know from personal experience. I am assuming any info relating to the seller on ebay is also long gone, it sounds as though this medal passed through at least 3 or 4 hands maybe more before being returned at this point I think you are going to be too far out to ever know who did it at the end of the day. All that matters is the piece was returned thanks to a forum member!

We are on the same team, so not trying to start a debate - we just have different perspectives.

Why assume there is no trail back to the crook? Maybe there is, and maybe there is not. Me personally, I would pursue it. If it reaches a dead end, so be it. At least you did what you could to protect the next person. I cannot stand thieves, in any form, so giving them soft quarter does not gel with me.

Anyway, just my opinion. Moving on...

They do have strict policy they are "supposed to follow" but those policies are like all laws and policy's. Many of these people are the same people who will tell an old lady they have silver plate instead of sterling so they can scam them out of money. I know all about the fact they are supposed to record all items bought with drivers license number, address etc and technically purchased items are not supposed to be sold for 30 days. These rules I would say are largely not followed and thats just what I know from personal experience. I am assuming any info relating to the seller on ebay is also long gone, it sounds as though this medal passed through at least 3 or 4 hands maybe more before being returned at this point I think you are going to be too far out to ever know who did it at the end of the day. All that matters is the piece was returned thanks to a forum member!

24th_infantry

I contacted the police, ebay and the seller on ebay. Apparently someone sold the medal to this ebay seller and they had no idea it was stolen. Ebay was giving me and the police a run-around making it extremely hard and aggravating. I was on the phone three times a week for over an hour each time. The police talked to eBay and they did the same exact thing. It was over two years ago so I don't recall much of the conversations. But I remember eBay telling me to calm down and they are doing everything possible to track it down and get it back. I had photographs sent to them along with the police report. The former girlfriend of this dirt bag who stole it even told the police that this kid stole it from my house. It went on like this for a few months and I just did not have the energy to chase this ghost any longer.

As a side note, I plan on doing something in return for Jeff for his amazing deed. I do not have any children and I do not have anyone in my family interested in my collection. Someone who is that kind-hearted and selfless is an angel in my books and I will be making sure I keep in touch with him.

When this medal was first offered to me, I IMMEDIAATELY reached out to 24th Infantry to let him know that it was being offered. 24th Infantry responded that the medal was in his possession, but I told him he needed to take a second look. He did. and found out the medal had been stolen. I paid out $500 as a down payment on the medal to the forum member (which is what he told me he paid for it on eBay as a BIN), against his asking price of $1,500. He notified me later stating that he was tired of waiting for the rest of the money, so was selling the medal to someone else and the $500 was his for his troubles. Although this is a violation of the forum's SAFE HARBOR policy, there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it.

Flytiger, I appreciate your sentiments towards my situation. Maybe karma will come visit you....

Allan

CNY Militaria

Allan, Did you report this member to the forum administration? If what you say is true I would say that his name bears revealing for the sake of the rest of the membership. Thanks. Justin