Experimental Dixie Cup

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Not as yellow as the picture shows, but not a brilliant white either. The number on the printing is hard to read and I tried various combinations during an on line search, but did not find anything. To me, the number looks like: N00140-77-0(or C)-8322, but the threads get in the way. Looks like the fiscal year is 1977. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-86100600-1565991236.jpg

post-12790-0-46970900-1565991250.jpg

post-12790-0-03208400-1565991271_thumb.jpg

Interesting,im curious, besides the obvious label, what do you think is experimental about it?...from the pics it looks like every other sailor cap....mike

Post 36 of this thread has a dixie hat with the same markings.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/83174-usn-dixie-cup-dating/&do=findComment&comment=609009

Phone # & email for the NCTRF here. Could always go direct to the source for an answer....

https://www.federallabs.org/labs/navy-clothing-and-textile-research-facility-ncrtf

Salvage Sailor

Yep, same hat that I was issued as a uniform guinea pig in 1978. We covered this fairly well on the old topic cited here

A010 Label.jpg

08 05 10 010.jpg

Yeah this is from when they brought back the jumpers, well this was made when they were testing out the new versions, but they adopted them in the end.

Thanks to all for the replies. I got out of the Navy in 1970, so I was focusing on other things than sailors' uniforms when these transitions took place. Glad to see that tradition prevailed.

Al