Best Way To Preserve WW2 Navy Uniforms?

mwesson030

While digging through the attic at a family compound, I found what was the thought to be lost uniforms of my great grandfather who served in the Pacific as a surgeon. I found two dark blue dress coats, one heavy wool dress over coat and a full khaki uniform.

They are currently stored in the attic of a beach house with no covers on some not so great hangars. I spoke with my Grandfather about this and he said he would like to move them out and try to preserve them as best as possible as they are the only items left from his fathers career in the Navy.

I am not a uniform collector, so I was wondering what the more experienced collectors here have to say and if they have any advice they would be willing to share.

Any replies or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mwesson030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What harms uniforms the most is: Light, heat, and bugs.

Store in a dark cool place with some type of bug repellent. (moth balls or cedar chips)

Avoid metal hangers. (store flat preferably). Do not use plastic bags. Clean out any tobacco pieces out of the pockets. No rubber bands, Styrofoam.

Take out on occasion and inspect and replace repellent. If you suspect exposure to moths put in freezer for a day to pop the eggs that might be on it.

Photograph any damage so you can see if they are getting bit in the future. Trust me in 5 years you will forget if there were 4 or 5 moth bites on it.

If metal insignia is attached keep humidity low. Use damp rid in the bottom of the closet.

Hope that helps. Paul