Apocalypse Now ......40 years old

kammo-man

Hard to imagine but A N is 40 years old this week August 15th 2019.

I first seen it on Betamax , then Vhs .....then late night TV that was heavily edited.

Best of all was a showing 70mm in London on the big screen that was a real treat.

Got tickets to see its final cut for this sunday in Hollywood and cant wait.

Whats everyones stories of seeing the film ?

owen

JerseyDevil117

I remember picking up the vhs tape at a flea market in the early 2000's. Being just a kid my mind was blown. To this day still one of my favorite movies.

Abundant great performances. Duvall was great, Brando was great, but both may have gotten outshined by Sheen. Truly one of the great films of our time. Thank you for the reminder Owen. Gonna rewatch it asap!

I was in the Philippines in 1977. On liberty out out in Olongapo I remember seeing civilian guys in the bars and restaurants wearing Apocalypse Now T shirts. We couldn't figure out what that meant. A few year later when the movie came out it made sense.

Yeah, I guess they were shooting somewhere nearby. Olongapo was almost exclusively occupied by Marines and Sailors from Subic Bay, those civilians kind of stood out. It's a good movie, Martin Sheen's Captain Willard is a great movie character.

vintageproductions

Saw it the second day it came out at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood.

When the tiger scene happened all you could see was popcorn everywhere.

That is funny as heck.

Saw it the second day it came out at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood.

When the tiger scene happened all you could see was popcorn everywhere.

I watched it frequently in college in the 80s. I must have seen it 200 times. I watched it last night and for the first time noticed the title written as grafitti on the ruins at Kurtz' camp.

Was on a Med Cruise (79/80) on the Forrestal. It played a few times over a week over the closed circuit TV the ship ran.

If you weren't on watch, you were in the berthing area watching it.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

I watched it on Christmas Eve 1980 in the bar of a small officer's club in Germany... along with all the other sorry souls who had nowhere else to be and no one else to spend it with that night. It was my first year overseas.

Great movie...sorriest Christmas Eve of my life!

great flick.

I bought a printed out copy screenplay when I was a kid and the opening screen was Willard doing security for a rich guy on yacht after the war.