AN-6513-1A Chest Parachute question

Dijkhuizen

Hi,

I found this AN-6513-1A chest pack this weekend.

It,s fitted with the belly band loops and carry handle for paratrooper use.

What I never seen before on T5 reserve is the webbing construction between the risers and the hooks to attach the reserve to the harness

post-931-0-61497900-1565519528_thumb.jpeg

WWII Parachutist

Most of the modifications are pretty typical for this specific contract. The extra tuck flaps on the sides and ripcord pocket alternation were most likely modified circa November 1943 in compliance with the technical orders. Your picture doesn't show the modified ripcord pocket, but I'm guessing it has white binding tape and has been shortened?

However, the snap hooks are not at all typical for this pack as you mentioned. These have been added after the war (looks like the handiwork of a certain French dealer). Hard to tell from just those pictures, but I think the snap hooks and risers are from a commercial Switlik contract. I any case, the hand tacking doesn't look right either.

I am undecided on the belly band loops - there is a good chance they were also added at the same time as the hooks. I just doesn't fit the profile for that specific modification. The wear/soiling doesn't match on that webbing either. Chest packs with the belly band loops command higher prices, so sadly there is an incentive to add some "extras."

Joshua

Joshua,

Thanks for your information.

And indeed it looks like the snap hooks and belly band loops are added later.