1/35 scale Ardennes Outpost

Old Marine

The snow is just this small bag of scenic model snow that I found at the craft store. After I built up the terrain with the modeling clay and it dried for a few days I painted it a dark brown and let that dry up good for a few days. I then covered that with this grass mat. I used white craft glue and cut pieces to fit over the mound and front slope. After that dried up for a day or two I touched up any areas with brown and dark shadow earth colors.

Once every thing was set, painted and finished I painted thinned out white glue over the tops and then dusted the snow over it. I let that dry up, shook off the excess and then did that 2 or 3 more times to build up the snow. I didn't want 2 feet of snow just enough to make it look cold and miserable.

The terrain and snow took about 5 times longer than making and painting the figures.

post-2843-0-09177900-1565904590_thumb.jpg

Wow Dennis, you know nothing brings out a diorama's true feel than natural light, and it did with this one. Owen (Kammo-man) mentioned there were bread crumbs and I noticed them in pics #27b and #30; like all the spent shells that I didn't notice before. So this outpost has already seen action. Nice job.

Semper Fi.

Manny

The snow is just this small bag of scenic model snow that I found at the craft store. After I built up the terrain with the modeling clay and it dried for a few days I painted it a dark brown and let that dry up good for a few days. I then covered that with this grass mat. I used white craft glue and cut pieces to fit over the mound and front slope. After that dried up for a day or two I touched up any areas with brown and dark shadow earth colors.

Once every thing was set, painted and finished I painted thinned out white glue over the tops and then dusted the snow over it. I let that dry up, shook off the excess and then did that 2 or 3 more times to build up the snow. I didn't want 2 feet of snow just enough to make it look cold and miserable.

The terrain and snow took about 5 times longer than making and painting the figures.

Excellent! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...