Vietnam or Earlier Period Flashlight

Edelweisse

Hi Folks:

I wanted to verify that this is a Vietnam or earlier period flashlight based upon the fact....that there aren't any plastic "shields/guards" around the switch. Am I correct..? I found this in a footlocker that had some "old" clothing and this flashlight in a German flea market. Thank you in advance.

post-153915-0-82785800-1565209041_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks:

I wanted to verify that this is a Vietnam or earlier period flashlight based upon the fact....that there aren't any plastic "shields/guards" around the switch. Am I correct..? I found this in a footlocker that had some "old" clothing and this flashlight in a German flea market. Thank you in advance.

Verified. The MX991/U was first issued to military personnel during the Vietnam war. The switch guard is a post-Vietnam war era modification.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Not sure of the exact date, but the switch guard was added some time in the late 70s or maybe early 80s. So some were made after Vietnam without the switch guards. All with switch guards are post-vietnam, but not all without the switch guard were produced during the Vietnam war. But without original packaging there is no way to know if this is wartime or slightly post. Any ways this is a pedantic way of saying it's "correct" for vietnam

I'll go with the above, certainly VN war era. I got one from a Top Sergeant out of El Toro Marine Air base during the war, still in the box, and it was exactly like that. I was impressed by the different colored lenses that came with it. I used it for years.

Steve