Vietnam M1 Helmet Graffiti - ID

matthewsq

Hey all,

I'd like to share photos of a Vietnam era M1 I recently acquired. I've been looking for a Vietnam War helmet for some time, so was pleased to find this newly updated on the IMA website a few days ago - it's currently on its way in the mail.

The set up itself is quite interesting. The "graffiti" writing includes:

Hawthorne New Jersey

(Snorkle) Dutches

Betty Lou 8/2/60

Omega Gamma Delta (in greek letters)

It appears there are multiple "layers" of graffiti. Some is so faded that it's impossible to read. Others are fresher, such as the Betty Lou on the front. With the information on the cover, I wanted to research to find if I could identify who wore the helmet or who it was dedicated to.

I soon discovered that a L/Cpl William George Dutches (G company, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd DIV), from Hawthrone NJ, was KIA in Vietnam on June 14, 1966. He was 21 years old - a year younger than myself.

I have been speaking with USMF member pchepurko, who has published a book on Hawthorne NJ veterans. He confirmed that L/Cpl Dutches was a member of Omega Gamma Delta fraternity in Highschool, and that Betty Lou was his girlfriend.

As to how the helmet showed up on IMA - I'm not sure. The helmet cover does not appear stuck to the helmet, so perhaps the cover was kept on its own (by a buddy maybe?) and was later put on the helmet by a collector? I don't know how an entire KIA helmet would end up stateside again.

Regardless of whether or not the helmet is original to the cover, or if this was L/Cpl Dutches' cover or a friends, I'm honoured to be the custodian for such a sobering piece of history.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Quinn

post-159322-0-20693200-1565206253.png

post-159322-0-52091700-1565206261.png

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Quite the helmet. Once you have it in hand you will be able to tell if the shell and liner were his too if the rust spots on the shell and the stains on the cover and liner match up. Not uncommon for a vet to just keep a cover.

consider this helmet as holy. god bless the marine who wore it.

never sell it, if so, i will buy and donate to the marine musuem

semper fi

Great looking helmet cover and fantastic research on it!

I agree with Conn here, it's a very special piece and I'd be honored to have something like that in my collection. That being said, in my opinion, I don't think the helmet is an original set. More likely than not, after he was injured or killed, his helmet was put into an equipment pile and was later dismantled.

consider this helmet as holy. god bless the marine who wore it.

never sell it, if so, i will buy and donate to the marine musuem

semper fi

Thanks for your reply, Conn.

I still can't believe he was younger than me when he died. The date on the helmet, which I assume was the day he met/started dating Betty Lou, would mean he met her when he was 15. Highschool sweethearts that probably one day would have been married. A life cut short.

This helmet will be respected.

Great looking helmet cover and fantastic research on it!

I agree with Conn here, it's a very special piece and I'd be honored to have something like that in my collection. That being said, in my opinion, I don't think the helmet is an original set. More likely than not, after he was injured or killed, his helmet was put into an equipment pile and was later dismantled.

Thanks for replying AnDuc!

That's what I was thinking too - maybe a buddy took LCpl Dutches' helmet cover home as a memento? Or maybe it got into the equipment pile and then one day sold as surplus into the hands of a collector?

I found a comment on a memorial page from a PFC Harold Meester. He said:

I remember Dutches as my fire team leader and remember 61466 very well. He was a good leader and friend the short time i knew him. He taught me alot of what I needed to know to survive. Thanks Dutches...

I did some research on PFC Meester, and found his Silver Star citation from the day LCpl Dutches was KIA:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Private First Class Harold Wesley Meester (MCSN: 2168010), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving with Company G, Second Battalion, Ninth Marines, in connection with combat operations against insurgent communist (Viet Cong) forces in the Republic of Vietnam. On 14 June 1966, while serving as a Rifleman, Private First Class Meester was in the First Platoon when it was subjected to intense small arms and automatic weapons fire. Almost immediately, the First Squad leader and first fire team leader were wounded and the squad was temporarily halted. After crawling as far as possible under natural cover, Private First Class Meester, under devastating Viet Cong fire, single-handedly charged across an open field and up a fifty foot hill in an assault on a fortified Viet Cong bunker containing six of the enemy. Throwing hand grenades and firing point blank into the bunker, he wounded one Viet Cong and routed the others, thereby enabling the platoon to reorganize and pursue them further. His actions resulted in the capture of much enemy equipment and prevented further casualties to his fellow Marines. By his daring actions and loyal devotion to duty in the face of great personal risk, Private First Class Meester upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Thanks for replying AnDuc!

That's what I was thinking too - maybe a buddy took LCpl Dutches' helmet cover home as a memento? Or maybe it got into the equipment pile and then one day sold as surplus into the hands of a collector?

I really doubt helmets used in Vietnam would be surplussed. As I understand it other than entire units deploying to Vietnam, a soldier would be issued his equipment when he arrived in Vietnam as a replacement. He would turn this equipment back in when he left. My guess is any equipment that wasn't destroyed over years of use in Vietnam was probably given as aid to the RVN when the US left.

Sgt. Stubby

Quinn - if this really is William Dutches' helmet cover - what an amazing artifact from early Vietnam years.

I LOVE the layers of faded Magic Marker. It gives us all something to compare when we run across WAY too black Sharpie mutilations. However - being a doubting Thomas - I reserved my opinion until I could look into it myself.
The evidence:
1. Hawthorne New Jersey
2. (Snorkle) Dutches
3. Betty Lou 8/2/60
4. Omega Gamma Delta(in Greek)
#3 Betty Lou 8/2/60 gave me a problem. Her birthday? That would make her 5 years old. Too young for girlfriend, too old to be his daughter. Maybe Bill and Betty Lou's anniversary? That works for me.
As far as the other "proof" - the remaining 3 puzzle pieces of NAME, Hawthorne NJ, and Omega fraternity were all answered in one newspaper article.
CONGRATULATIONS Quinn in scoring truly what you called, "such a sobering piece of history". Amazing find.

post-169556-0-58154500-1565221367_thumb.jpg

Absolutely crazy find and research! Display it with care

Does the cover on the helmet match with the cover in the newspaper photo? You can kinda see the pattern

I really doubt helmets used in Vietnam would be surplussed. As I understand it other than entire units deploying to Vietnam, a soldier would be issued his equipment when he arrived in Vietnam as a replacement. He would turn this equipment back in when he left. My guess is any equipment that wasn't destroyed over years of use in Vietnam was probably given as aid to the RVN when the US left.

When I said surplus, I meant, if it was taken off of someone who was WIA/KIA, it would be re-issued back to replacements/wounded grunts heading back into the field.

There were piles of this stuff lying around from casualties and not to mention from guys leaving the country. Would not have been out of the question for some guy to randomly grab one. I've spoken with a few Vietnam vets who said they did it and those who had wish they did.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

When I said surplus, I meant, if it was taken off of someone who was WIA/KIA, it would be re-issued back to replacements/wounded grunts heading back into the field.

There were piles of this stuff lying around from casualties and not to mention from guys leaving the country. Would not have been out of the question for some guy to randomly grab one. I've spoken with a few Vietnam vets who said they did it and those who had wish they did.

You didn't say surplus. I was responding to Matthewsq's comment that "maybe it got into the equipment pile and then one day sold as surplus into the hands of a collector"