• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 easterneagle87

easterneagle87
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,131
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

It was my birthday weekend so I conned the wife into heading south to the Bay Area. She said since it was b'day, what would I like to do? To help ease the sting of driving 3 hours for my "junking fix", we took in an A's game Sat nite (they beat the St. Louis Cardinals 8 -3). Then while she slept in, I uber'd over and hit the Alameda Antique Peddlers Fair on Sunday morn. Did some digging and found a few treasures. Haven't been down there in about 4 years, so it's a good time for me.  

Bins of photos are time consuming, but like panning for gold. You never know what flakes or nuggets will appear. Snagged a shot of an awards ceremony with guys in Navy whites. A quick close look and I thought that profile looks familiar. Closer look and it sure looks like Adm. Nimitz standing there. Pulled out the magnifying glass, YEP! Bingo! Facial recognition just like aircraft recognition, positive ID! Scanned the photo and a bunch of Airedales getting Distinguished Flying medals. Pretty stoked at this point, so it went into the bag.

Got home and reviewed my finds this morning. Took another look at this photo and deeper into the line, one guy has a Navy Cross. Bonus! But then I looked at the guy getting pinned, he's African American. Bells started ringing!! Being the history / military buff / nerd I am, there is only one black guy I know who would fit this scenario. Search of the inter-web! Double bingo!! It is Doris "Dorie" Miller !! Getting his Navy Cross.

OK, so this is a little long winded, but here's my question. This photo is "nearly" exact to the ones posted on "images" posted of Miller on the web, BUT... The angle is different. Nimitz is slightly turned and his shoulder boards are slightly dipped so the details of them are more visible. I don't think this is a reprint as the paper quality, feel/texture and aging are that of a period photo. Did this come from a second photographer who was standing next to the guy whose pictures appear now. OR same guy? Auto-wind wasn't developed yet. If so, this guy was quick on the trigger and thumb on the winding lever. Let me know what you think!      

The "white" on Miller's face is from the scanner and not on the photo.       

Attached Images

• Nimitz Dorie Miller NC.jpg

Edited by easterneagle87, 05 August 2019 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Flightpath

Flightpath
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,780
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Nice pick up, here some more info and the title under an image of a simular photo...

'Chester W. Nimitz pins the Navy Cross on Doris Miller, at ceremony on board USS Enterprise (CV-6) at Pearl Harbor, May 27, 1942.'

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Doris_Miller

Edited by Flightpath, 05 August 2019 - 11:10 AM.

#3 aerialbridge

aerialbridge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,406
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Here's the oft published photo for comparison.    I'm going to wildly guess yours is by the same photog who moved slightly between pictures.  How's the resolution and focus on it?

Attached Images

• Nimitz_and_miller.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users