M1967 (30-round Mag) Pouch Variations...?

FTLewisBrat

I don't think that right but I don't know that much about the dates on web gear. I would assume that if it's dated 69 it would have been made in 69. A lot of other things are dated with the year they are made. If contracts last many years why do a mfg date?

milsurp_scout_14

So, being that the mags sit higher in the pouch with stitching, I wonder if it was a modification that made it easier to pull the mags out. That extra bit of grab might make a difference in speed of draw.

FTLewisBrat

Since they sit higher out of the pouch you do get a better grip, but, because the bottom of the pouch is so much smaller the mags are wedged in pretty tight. In my opinion for "ease of draw", if I had to use them, my preference would be to go with the un-modified pouch. The mags just fit better.

Admittedly though, I have only tried putting mags in an unused sample. Maybe after a break in period these loosen up... Dose anyone have a well used sample that they could test fit some mags in?

I feel like this modification was an afterthought, maybe in an attempt to get make the mags more accessible. I think it says a lot about the sucess of the modification that it didn't continue.