M1967 (30-round Mag) Pouch Variations...?

FTLewisBrat

FTLewisBrat

Several months ago I purchased a mismatched pair of mint unused M1967 nylon 30-round pouches.

One looks like the standard pouch, but, the other has the plastic clip mounted much lower on the top flap with about an inch or so of zig-zag stiching above it. I suspect the stiching is covering the unused holes in the flap.

I assumed the one with the extra stiching was a error and maybe that's why it was unused. But, over the past couple of days I have seen two different pouches from two different sources with the same stitching.

Wondering if this is an earlier / later model, a different design, was it done to have easier access to the flap... I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any information on these that points to why the plastic clip might have been mounted lower?

The first two pics below are the standard pouches second two pics are the ones I found with the stitching.

post-108940-0-10617600-1564767997.png

FTLewisBrat

Both have the same markings under the flap, they read;

case, small arms

ammunition (nylon)

30 round magazine

M16 and M16E1 rifle

8465-926-6610

DSA 100-69-C2799

Remar Inc

post-108940-0-67847100-1564788518_thumb.jpg

Looks like possibly repair or repositioned to accommodate something else? Please show the inside of the top behind the clasp.

FTLewisBrat

I initially thought repair, but it's pretty evident that it's unused.

I thought maybe it was a one-off modification, but the other two that I found look way too similar for it to be a coincidence I think.

spec6-spencer

post-178058-0-40204800-1564827927_thumb.jpg

I have the other one for a matching pair B)

I do not think that it is a single modification, but not sure for what...

I am glad that you have posted this thread pertaining to the M-1967 M16 30rd Magazine Cases. I have seen anywhere from 10 to 15 of these M-1967 Magazine Cases with the same extra stitching or "repair". These magazine cases are not very common to find anymore and the fact that at least half of the ones I have owned or examined have had this extra stitching above the plastic clip lead me to believe it is NOT a repair. Some of these have been NOS unused condition. Not sure what the reasoning is for this but hopefully we can learn more about this.

Side note to this is I always dig threw boxes/piles of nylon ALICE M16 30rd. magazine cases in search of the M-1967 cases. I grab them whenever I run across them.

Try putting 3 30rd mags in the pouch and see if there is any clearance between the top of the mag and the cover. Maybe these were made slightly different and the cover didn't close right so the had to adjust the clasp.

FTLewisBrat

So I put three magazines in each pouch (a little embarrassed to say I hadn't tried that before). In the pouch WITHOUT the extra stitching the magazines sit a good bit lower down.

After inspecting each fully loaded pouch and looking at the bottom, you can see a pretty significant difference in the depth of the pouch at the base.

It appears that in the pouch WITH the extra stitching, the magazines are designed to sit alot higher which is why the latch needs to be lower on the flap. The 30-round magazine fit is a lot tighter in this pouch, and I have to say, it almost feels like they don't "fit" properly. Honestly, if it didn't say M16 on the inner flap I would guess that they weren't designed for M16 magazines... It's kind of an odd fit.

Is it unusual that from the same manufacturer, in the same year, for the same item, you have two completely different types of construction?

post-108940-0-05535800-1565099994_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Well it is not for sure the same year. Some contracts are completed in months, some last years. Without more information it could have been made anytime from 1969 to early 1973.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Actually he said the year and mfg was exactly same on both pouches.

But there is no year marked anywhere on the pouches. They stopped stamping the year an pouch was manufactured in 1953 I believe. The only thing this pouch has is a contract of DSA 100-69-C2799 that indicates it was awarded in the year 1969, but contracts can last many years, and the specifications can be modified with no change in the contract number.