I Found a Grenade!

mikie

At least that's what we used them for playing war games when I was a kid! I spotted this on the side of the road the other day and it brought back fond memories of long ago. Just thought I'd post here and hopefully someone will get a bang out of it.

post-2687-0-85224400-1564761449.jpg

Mikie

Good times running around in the woods behind my house with a (plastic) pistol and (pine cone) grenade evading those Germans (neighbor kids) trying to capture me!

That's pretty funny Mikie. That reminds me of the time when my two brothers and I were playing army up in some big boulders (which were probably small boulders in reality) and one of my brothers was wearing a helmet liner we had. Well, we actually used dirt clods as hand grenades because they looked neat when you threw them and they hit the rocks and would make a powdery dust against the rocks when they landed. Anyway, I remember my brother peering out from the rocks and I reached back and let go a dirt clod. Wham! It hit him right on the top of the bridge of his nose and it immediately started bleeding. At that point I ran because my brother was older than I and he had a temper. Turns out that dirt clod must've caused him some sort of damage because later on when he was older because I remember him having some sort of septum procedure to clear up some of the damage so he could breath easier. We used to joke about the incident later and would just tell him, "Hey, you had a helmet and you shouldn't have been looking up. Hope you learned your lesson." I don't remember us playing that way with dirt clods like that after that incident. Good times....!!!!

Back in the late 60's we had a open lot behind the 7-11 off Imperial in Downey. Everyone would get into their dad's duffel bags and put on what ever gear they could put their hands on. We had fox holes with plywood covers piled with dirt and rocks to hide them. The next few hours would be us throwing dirt clods at each other and yelling "bang bang I GOT YOU!" "NO YOU DIDN'T". When my folks moved to O.C. we has a creek with thick bamboo growing in it. We used to shoot each other with BB guns. If you got hit you knew it and so did the guy that shot you. No one ever lost an eye. I guess it could of happened, but it never did. Good times!

We used to shoot each other with BB guns. If you got hit you knew it and so did the guy that shot you.

Somewhere in Arizona is a friend of mine from school that probably still has a BB under the skin near his left elbow. There was no doubt that I hit him.

Ahhhh yes, the BB gun wars. I remember them well. We had a three pump limit, which everybody summarily ignored. Me and my trusty Crosman 760 survived many a skirmish. I had a co-worker that still has a BB stuck between his scalp and skull from those days. BB hit his orbital, and traveled down the side of his head, stopping above his ear.

Not recommended.

Back in the late 60's we had a open lot behind the 7-11 off Imperial in Downey. Everyone would get into their dad's duffel bags and put on what ever gear they could put their hands on. We had fox holes with plywood covers piled with dirt and rocks to hide them. The next few hours would be us throwing dirt clods at each other and yelling "bang bang I GOT YOU!" "NO YOU DIDN'T". When my folks moved to O.C. we has a creek with thick bamboo growing in it. We used to shoot each other with BB guns. If you got hit you knew it and so did the guy that shot you. No one ever lost an eye. I guess it could of happened, but it never did. Good times!

Somewhere in Arizona is a friend of mine from school that probably still has a BB under the skin near his left elbow. There was no doubt that I hit him.

LOLOLOL! I took a long distance hit on my forehead above my nose. It dropped me like a sack of rocks. It seems I had more fun before I knew anything.

BILL THE PATCH

We used everything as grenades, dirt bombs, we had chestnuts trees by us, we used them as grenades, mulch bark, what fun, years later when we were teenagers we actually tossed m-80's at each other. We were City kids. No body ever got hurt that I can remember.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

suwanneetrader

We used standard BB guns, not pump up pellet guns which could hit like a .22 and do real damage. Our Daisy Red Ryder and Buck Jones stung alittle and we kept away from the enemy's head as our rule was if you hit the guy's head or face you were dead not him. Richard

We were playing army on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex while it was under construction.No roof or windows, just the openings in the brick work.We would take the discarded pointy solo cups and fill them with cement dust to use as grenades.When they landed they exploded with a satisfying cloud of dust. One of the guys was at the edge of a window opening throwing his grenades. Then he was gone! My brother and I ran to the opening and looked down.Sure as s**t he had wound up like a major league pitcher and let her rip with no place for his kick leg to land but thin air. End result,broken leg and a mother that hated me and my brother big time.

Some of this reminds me of our tree fort/apple fighting days...A brother of one of my good friends, decided he was going to load the apples with nails....As luck would have it, he's the one that gets popped next to his eye with one.....Don't know if it was loaded, but he bawled like a baby....My friend consoled him, saying he would be fine....He was fine too, until he wiped across the spot and saw he had blood on his hand......The flood gates than opened up again, and a couple stitches later, the rest is history.....Bodes

that's how I lost my right eye

that's how I lost my right eye

Aww crap! Sorry to hear that. We all knew it could happen. We were just lucky it didn't. Ignorance of youth. I am sorry it happened to you.

We would use hair spray and a lighter, as a flamethrower.

Binaca breath sprays are good for that as well....We used to zap flies....Bodes

We would use hair spray and a lighter, as a flamethrower.

I would do that to my cheap knock off Marx green army men, but never to the ones that came in a set Amerian Army vs the German or Japanese Army. I still have those.

11thcavsniper

Anyone remember the match gun made from Mom's clothes pins. Circa: 1950's. You could insert the old stick farmers matches and shoot them. They would ignite and go down range. If you got one down your shirt there was no way you could say you didn't get me.

post-32078-0-70042700-1564799045.jpg

One thing I remember doing with my BB gun (and we all had them) was put a "strike anywhere" kitchen match down the barrel and shoot without a BB it at any hard surface like a stone wall. You'd get a nice little crack when it hit. Surprised though that we didn't burn any thing down - at least not that I knew of.

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

At least that's what we used them for playing war games when I was a kid! I spotted this on the side of the road the other day and it brought back fond memories of long ago. Just thought I'd post here and hopefully someone will get a bang out of it.

attachicon.gif20190802_084405.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well this time its me contributing to one of your threads, maybe a form of retaliation as you are often posting in my thread ( thank you ;) ). When I was around ten / eleven years of age I had a bunch of friends and we used to be out of our houses as much as we could, evenings during the school week and nearly all day on Saturdays and Sundays. We used to go to the breakers yards and buy parts of damaged bicycles and build our own bikes as we dreamt of being speedway riders, the most important part of the bike was that it had to have oversize tires and what we then called cow-horn handles emulating the motorcycles used by the Speedway riders. We spent most of our days on local fields which also bordered onto a long abandoned quarry. We would use the small hills to gather speed peddling furiously down to a flat area and then do a tight circle one foot down on the ground and breaking hard on the rear wheel to scatter dirt and stones, similar to the style of riding employed by the Speedway riders.

One day we came down in a group as usual and during the tight turn on the flat section Phil Hunt fell off and one of the spokes on the wheel broke and punctured a blood vein on his inside forearm, we all watched in amazement as the blood spurted out in time with his heart beat, he left us and headed home.

Right here’s where I come to the connection to your post, the fields we played on had no trees so there were no pine cones. When we became tired of our Speedway activities we chose sides and had raids against opposing sides using small stones from the ground. It paid to watch the opposing side and see the stones curving through the air and judge the landing spot and jump sideways to avoid being hit. One day when we were doing this I chose to hide behind a wooden handcart that had been dumped on the field. I had gathered up a supply of stones so I could remain behind the cart with my ammunition, all was going well as I raised myself and quickly threw a stone at the opposition and ducked again, then waiting for the opposing stones to hammer against the wooden handcart. Unknown to me as I was hiding behind the cart one of the opposition had crawled closer to the handcart and when I raised myself to throw a stone I was slammed on the forehead by a full size red house-brick, well the blood flowed and my eyes quickly filled with blood and a couple of the guys had to lead me home to my parents as I was unable to see. My mother ran me to the local hospital where they added a couple of stitches to the three inch gash, and also informed my mother that there was nothing they could do to clear the blood from my eyes and to take me home put me to bed and wait for the blood to dissipate and dissolve back into the body, this took two / three weeks before I was able to see again. ^_^

I still have the scar on my forehead a few inches above my right eye., another anecdote to relate to my daughter and present day friends.

lewis.

Man what stories! It sounds like it may have been safer to play with real grenades!

I once got a plastic M1 helmet. I recall proudly wearing it for the first and last time at one of our war games. One of my buddies wanted to see how good it worked and whacked me on the head with a large rock. Well, it did save my skull from being split open, but lets just say you don't need to be an astronomer to see stars. But I'm feeling much better now. Though it could explain a lot in my life since.

I'm glad you all made it out alive!

Mikie