Original Shrimp Net?

Nickman983

Picked this up recently for what I think was a pretty decent price. I was wondering if this net is in fact an original US manufactured shrimp net or if it was cut from vehicle netting. I think the two sides are the same color and it's just the pictures that make them look a bit different.

post-169952-0-36672000-1564499966.jpg

Thanks Pat. I've seen that thread a few times, I just wasn't sure whether this was one of the US manufactured nets made specifically for helmets or if it was cut from some vehicle netting or something.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Looks too thick for US net, I think its post war European. But just a guess. I dont know.

Looks too thick for US net, I think its post war European. But just a guess. I dont know.

Looking at it closer I think you're right that it's too thick to be the US issued type of helmet net. However, I'm not sure that it's post war European. To me it looks very much like the "3rd ID" style netting in posts 7 through 12 of Pat's reference guide. Though I don't know enough about post war euro netting to be sure.

I've taken some pictures of the net on one of my helmets, I'll post them tomorrow morning.

hmm, I've looked around online a bit and found a site with some Swedish/Danish nets http://www.matshelmets.se/nets.html

So far I haven't seen anything Swedish or Danish that matches the net in question, though I'm sure that what I'm seeing is not a complete sample of what's out there.

Burning Hazard

I owned a Swedish net and Dutch net and the holes are larger than vehicle netting. You can always clip a piece off and run a burn tests; lots of post war netting used nylon.

Keep in mind that WWII shrimp nets were used by lots of countries after WWII; I seen Israeli and French use those well into the 60's from original examples.

Pat

Thanks for the info Pat. The holes are about the same size as the net cut from NOS Canadian vehicle netting that I purchased from another member a few weeks ago. I'll probably do a burn test on all three of my nets when I get the chance later tonight.

Just got a chance to try the burn test. All three "burned". The 1/2 inch net the small amount I cut I was able to actually get to catch on fire. The two shrimp nets I have burnt, but didn't actually catch on fire. I also tried a small snippet from a loose strand from a nape strap and a loose strand from a chinstrap just as a control. They both burnt in the same way as the shrimp nets (not actually catching fire) and smelled about the same as the two shrimp nets when burning. I didn't see any melting or shrinking like I would have expected with nylon so I assume that this is a good sign for the nets?

I am not sure what the burn test proves in this case. Early postwar nets probably didn't have any synthetic material in them, although I can't say for certain.

If the net in question was cut from a larger shrimp net, it is odd that the person who cut it happened to follow essentially the same geometry as a postwar Swedish net.

The burn test only proves that it's not synthetic. If it was synthetic then it would definitely be post war and the origin wouldn't matter much at that point (at least for me).

The pattern of the net is also the same as the us M44 nets issued during WWII. Why someone would cut it in that shape is up to speculation but the shape of the cut was something done by the US.

As of now I think the closest net to this one that I've seen is the 3rd ID style mentioned in Pat's thread above.

juodonnell2012

Looks good to me, this looks just like one of the variations of vehicle nets that were often cut up to make helmet covers especially with the 3rd ID and other units. The vehicle nets I have had are very bulky and thick. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...