WWII 29th Infantry Division signed map

Gavin D.

Hi all,

Here is a rare 29th Infantry division map I picked up recently. This is actually only half of the map and was given out to the troops during the war from my research. What makes this really cool is that this was signed by a bunch of vets of the 29th during the war. I was able to find out about two of them from a short search. Lt.(later Captain) Walter J. Mrozek was a D-Day vet and was wounded and S/Sgt Jack Nash was wounded twice, but not sure if he was on D-Day.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=2261276

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mycentraljersey/obituary.aspx?n=walter-j-mrozek&pid=129545102

post-158043-0-69426200-1564356011_thumb.jpg

post-158043-0-58097900-1564356022_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Great find!

Actually there were three parts.

The first two parts of this graphic history were printed by the 669th Engineer Topographic Company in January 1945 and a third part showing the subsequent battles was added to the right in the Summer of 1945.

post-92-0-97309100-1564605978_thumb.jpeg

everforward

I also have a signed 29th map (first two parts), both parts framed and matted....names are recorded with three or four different styles of handwriting, with soldiers names and home addresses.

After looking up many of the names in the morning reports, I’ve come to conclude that the names are most likely from a late-war roster of Company H, 116th Infantry.....some of the old Virginia guys still in the unit were from around Martinsville, Va.

Johan Willaert

Wow very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I never knew there was a 3rd part to the map.

You're welcome..

The thrid part is actually quite uncommon..

Maybe because by the time it was made and available a lot of the 29th high pointers had already left the Division...

everforward

You're welcome..

The thrid part is actually quite uncommon..

Maybe because by the time it was made and available a lot of the 29th high pointers had already left the Division...

Ha... :) I had always thought that the 3rd part was given out at later 29th Div. Association Conventions...

I also have a signed 29th map (first two parts), both parts framed and matted....names are recorded with three or four different styles of handwriting, with soldiers names and home addresses.

After looking up many of the names in the morning reports, I’ve come to conclude that the names are most likely from a late-war roster of Company H, 116th Infantry.....some of the old Virginia guys still in the unit were from around Martinsville, Va.

Thanks for identifying what company the signatures are from!

everforward

Thanks for identifying what company the signatures are from!

Gavin, I should point out that the names I refer to about identification were on the map I own and not yours, sorry for the confusion. ;)

Having said that, I will look and see what I can find out about your own map and signatures at my first opportunity. Cheers :)