Winchester 37mm round dated 1916

Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant

I have been searching the forum and the interwebs for info on this round. The best i have been able to come up with is this was probably left over from WWI and used as a training round? With the bottom bored out and the slashes going through some of the letters being crossed out on the bottom. I also think this is a Winchester round. I have seen lots of pictures and I didn't find another one that had the army ordinance crest on the round. Can anyone give me more insight on this round? This is a new learning endeavor for me. Thank you in advance. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The flaming bomb stamp was used on all US accepted ordnance thru WW2. You have a common 37mm model of 1916 ( Hotchkiss ) artillery piece. Not sure it is Winchester made, the examples I have seen have Winchester spelled out...

Gerradtgrant

The flaming bomb stamp was used on all US accepted ordnance thru WW2. You have a common 37mm model of 1916 ( Hotchkiss ) artillery piece. Not sure it is Winchester made, the examples I have seen have Winchester spelled out...

Thank you for the reply. I was only going off of the limited info I could find online about it being Winchester. So, this is for the hotchkiss. I was unsure on that.

As I thought, BOCN website had the answer....

"WMFGCo is Wheeling Mould and Foundry Co. Winchester proudly stamped their whole name!!" A common piece, but in nice condition...no holes drilled in it, mouth not all buggered up.

Gerradtgrant

Their example is identical to yours.{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpeg

Thank you so much for your help. On the bottom side top of mine do you know why they would have Crossed all of those letters out with the hash marks?

More: I noticed the head stamp " sub caliber"....which explains why the original AMM lot was X out. Your shell was reloaded as a training sub cal round used for the 4.5"-8" artillery, the 75mm-155mm artillery pieces. When training gunners, it was much cheaper to use the millions of surplus WW1 37mm rounds on hand than manufacturing the real projectile.Hoggs book on artillery has pictures of the 37mm sub cal barrels that were installed inside the big bored artillery pieces.

Gerradtgrant

More: I noticed the head stamp " sub caliber"....which explains why the original AMM lot was X out. Your shell was reloaded as a training sub cal round used for the 4.5"-8" artillery, the 75mm-155mm artillery pieces. When training gunners, it was much cheaper to use the millions of surplus WW1 37mm rounds on hand than manufacturing the real projectile.Hoggs book on artillery has pictures of the 37mm sub cal barrels that were installed inside the big bored artillery pieces.

Very interesting, I had a feeling this was probably used for some type of training through WWII if I remember right!

Gerradtgrant

Do you collect ordinance stuff? Or just dabble in it?

The 16" is a rare cluster munitions shell. It holds 666 cluster bombs, the USN inventory stated they had about 24 left in 1992 before they were scrapped....long story how I aquired it....it is incorrectly painted, ( HE colors- seller did not know what the band engraving meant, he assumed it was an HE, it is on my list to repainted correctly ( yellow diamonds at ogive) but moving it off the stand requires hoist as it weighs about 1600 lbs. post-180924-0-90680600-1564273186_thumb.jpeg

Gerradtgrant

The 16" is a rare cluster munitions shell. It holds 666 cluster bombs, the USN inventory stated they had about 24 left in 1992 before they were scrapped....long story how I aquired it....it is incorrectly painted, ( HE colors- seller did not know what the band engraving meant, he assumed it was an HE, it is on my list to repainted correctly ( yellow diamonds at ogive) but moving it off the stand requires hoist as it weighs about 1600 lbs. {style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpeg

Wow that is incredible! Nice little collection you have sir. I wish more of the stuff was around. Something I wouldn't mind having more of.

Wow that is incredible! Nice little collection you have sir. I wish more of the stuff was around. Something I wouldn't mind having more of.

Ordnance is out there, but now getting to expensive to collect, but you never know what pops up so best to study it and know what is correct when you come across it. Way to much ordnance out there that is mix match, example, 105G stuck in a 105H case, vice versa....navy 3" stuck in 75mm cases, etc. WW2 ordnance ( correct) has become outrageous, I love militaria but medals, patches, field gear, uniforms, helmets, etc are just to numerous and to common to collect ( compared to Ordnance). Happy hunting.

Gerradtgrant

Ordnance is out there, but now getting to expensive to collect, but you never know what pops up so best to study it and know what is correct when you come across it. Way to much ordnance out there that is mix match, example, 105G stuck in a 105H case, vice versa....navy 3" stuck in 75mm cases, etc. Happy hunting.

I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to educate me. This forum truly is a blessing for folks like me. Thank you again!

Gerradtgrant

Here are a couple of shots of your sub caliber gun

Thank you for the pictures helps out it into perspective!