Golden Hawks Airborne KW/Vn Sgt's Uniform, papers, discharge, Airborne badge notebooks

stratasfan

Went to an estate sale last weekend (for American Girl dolls, actually, just happened to have been a vet's estate) and picked up this uniform and a bunch of notebooks and papers from a Cold War vet. Never done anything Airborne before, but I got this with the intention of cutting all the stuff off the uniform (no space to keep uniforms). However, I then got the papers that gave his name and tons of his service info (lots of orders and stuff in the paperwork, as well as his retirement cert and a discharge cert). Also got a 3-ring binder that was Government prop. and has a jump badge mounted on the cover. I think the badge might be sterling. Also a notebook where you can slide a legal pad in to it that has a jump badge and another badge, too. So, I think I am going to try and give this a shot at selling it as a grouping once I figure everything out. If I don't sell it, then I will take everything off the uniform and just use the pieces. But thought I'd share this cool haul! The CIB and jump badge are both sterling marked. There are a few photographs that are from the 1974 KY tornado disaster (he had thousands of pictures that he took from when he was down there).

post-151812-0-94560200-1564147172_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-04060700-1564147178_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-40530400-1564147200.jpg

Anyone ever seen a binder like this, where a badge is mounted on the front?

post-151812-0-02394700-1564147228.jpg

post-151812-0-01137500-1564147232_thumb.jpg

More pics of uniform stuff (there are pants, too, but I didn't photograph them -no pins or patches! -grin- )

What is the This We'll Defend badge for?

post-151812-0-52875000-1564147276_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-00286100-1564147282_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-49940200-1564147291.jpg

Oh, cool! Thanks! Didn't know that! So that notebook binder has the jump badge and the drill Sgt. badge on it!

manayunkman

Elizabeth that is an incredible group!

Did you miss anything else of his at the sale?

You certainly picked the right stuff to make this a well documented and identified group.

Removing the insignia is not a good idea.

Putting Insignia of most any type on scrap books and such is common.

Elizabeth that is an incredible group!

Did you miss anything else of his at the sale?

You certainly picked the right stuff to make this a well documented and identified group.

Removing the insignia is not a good idea.

Putting Insignia of most any type on scrap books and such is common.

Oh, I missed some stuff. Didn't have enough money for all of it. I left a couple Vietnam-era OD field jackets. They were in rougher shape and didn't have insignia I could really remove, other than a few subdued patches. (I have other Vietnam field wear that I haven't been able to sell yet, so didn't want to lay out more money on things I might be stuck with down the road, s it wasn't something I could really use.). Also a jacket and coat where the jacket was black and the pants were blue with stripes. It had no insignia, though either, just rank patches. He also had a stack of probably 1,000 photographs that he took (he had a full darkroom from the 1960s and on) during the 1974 KY Tornado disaster. I didn't buy those, as they wanted $2 a piece. Should have priced the bunch. There was also an Army manual, but it was just aplain rifle drill manual or something like that, and hadn't fared well where it was in the basement. So, I spent all the money I had for this stuff. I thought the note books were cool, and figured I would see if the jump badges were sterling, and I knew I can always take the uniform apart.

Getting all his information, I'd rather see about selling it all off as a group, since I'd feel a little bad about scavenging the uniform before I offered it. -grin-

However, if noone wants it, I won't feel bad taking all the pieces apart. Hey, I figured I'd do that with the jump badges from the notebooks. Never out. :)

I've never had Airborne stuff before. So, this is cool. Maybe someone wants to wear the uniform for reenacting or something. It is really nice. The jacket is a 39Reg and the pants are 33x32, I think.

I don't often get to find military stuff at sales around here, so it was fun! I like learning about the drill sgt. badge!

So, he was an airborne qualified Drill Sergeant at Ft. Knox. The patch on the right sleeve (1st Aviation Bde) is almost certainly from his combat time in Vietnam, though he doesn't have a Vietnam Service ribbon on the uniform? He also has time in Korea, hence the second award (star) on the CIB. Looks like a neat set to research with the paperwork you have. Hard to make out the collar brass, maybe quartermaster? Great find! Scott

Those old OD field jackets can bring HUGE money in the vintage clothing category. You might consider going back and picking them up if you can. You can also "make an offer" and see if you can get them cheaper.

Finally, if this isn't your area of interest collecting wise, I am sure there are people here on the forum who would be more than willing to give you a fair price on the group.

Allan

Those old OD field jackets can bring HUGE money in the vintage clothing category. You might consider going back and picking them up if you can. You can also "make an offer" and see if you can get them cheaper.

Finally, if this isn't your area of interest collecting wise, I am sure there are people here on the forum who would be more than willing to give you a fair price on the group.

Allan

Thanks! I actually posted this grouping the evening we brought it home as for sale, and described the other uniforms and said I could get anything else if someone was interested, as we were going back the next day. However, nobody was interested, so I just went and got the papers and notebooks on the second day. I didn't have the money to sink into the other jackets on the gamble that I might be stuck with them. I would have, if someone was serious, but I didn't hear from anyone in time. -sigh-

I am going to sell this grouping. At least, list it, anyway! -grin- If I don't sell it in a little while, I'll just scavenge it like I figured I would when I first picked it. However, I figured I'd offer it on here first, in case this appeals to someone! Hoping to get it listed this weekend on the for sale section. Just busy doing yard work yesterday and today, so I haven't had time! Normal chores just don't stop for any reason! -grin-