Help ID gun in Vietnam-era slide: M-60 Machinegun

stratasfan

Wondering if anyone knows what kind of gun this is. I'm photographing a couple of boxes of slides, all from a vet's Vietnam service pictures. Cool picture, I thought!

post-151812-0-36618600-1564089538_thumb.jpg

Reversed! Hahahaha! Oh, well . . . I figured I'd end up looking at them the wrong way! Oops!

The belt is draped over a star cluster tube...probably to signal they are under attack if attacked. Next to that are a bunch of what appear to be Claymore mine firing devices to detonate specific mines in front of their field of fire. Great photo!

• 3 weeks later...

The flare tube that the ammo belt is draped over appears to be mounted to the sill of the bunker or tower. It is probably there to take the place of the assistant gunner who would help the belt feed properly. The belts would often jam if they were being pulled up directly from the floor and had to make the 90 degree turn onto the feed tray. Pig gunners used to mount a B-unit can from their C-rations to the side of the feed tray to smooth out the feeding.

phantomfixer

The flare tube that the ammo belt is draped over appears to be mounted to the sill of the bunker or tower. It is probably there to take the place of the assistant gunner who would help the belt feed properly. The belts would often jam if they were being pulled up directly from the floor and had to make the 90 degree turn onto the feed tray. Pig gunners used to mount a B-unit can from their C-rations to the side of the feed tray to smooth out the feeding.

agreed

Did grunts do that with the standard ground pounder 60s with the C rat can? Ive seen numerous pics of it done with the 60Ds on Hueys. My fathers unit sometimes mounted a 20mm sized ammo can that 1500 rounds of linked 7.62 came in for miniguns on to the XM-23 setup for the M60D. When doing that they didn't use the aluminum feed chutes so they mounted those C rat cans to properly feed in the gun.

Here is a 2 for 1 ,Crew chief from my fathers unit in July 1969. Case of C-rats and then the setup with the C rat can visible by the feed tray.

post-11373-0-63653700-1566608483_thumb.jpg