Navy Talker… Double Set

The Rooster

The Rooster

Two Navy Talkers with good intact liners and chin straps.

Each has a Talker leather blast helmet and goggles. And each has a working

Chest microphone with working headsets and about 20 ft of cable each..

Sound powered.

post-181333-0-67263600-1563854138_thumb.jpg

that's all kindsa cool but what's with the chin strap being baling wired to the helmet, was that so it'd break away in an explosion or ?

The Rooster

Whats IJV mean ?

owen

It stands for Manuvering stations..... That IJV talker would be on the bow stern straboard port or on the forcastle etc etc

to report whats going on to the bridge i would imagne especially docking, casting off, mid sea replenishment etc.

Manuvering..

The Rooster

that's all kindsa cool but what's with the chin strap being baling wired to the helmet, was that so it'd break away in an explosion or ?

Not sure why they are made that way? But here is a post from 2007 explaining what might be

the possible origins of the cord?

gecko NZ
  • av-1584.jpg?_r=1195747660
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,584
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:27 AM

i like the look of these helmets, the thing i find funny with them is the leather "belting" used to hold the chinstaps to the shell, looks just like the leather belting industrial sewing machines of the same era would have been using, how do i know? i fix industrial sewing machines and the old ones are still pretty common, some of there owners brought them brand new lol what does that tell ya, anyway ive got old leather belting lying around and if i ever get one of these helmets and it needs parts i know where to look, just thought this might help others, oh and the metal parts holding the leather to the shell look just like leather belt hooks (see pic below) used to join the belting.

heres a pic you can still get this stuff.

post-1584-1196335486.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Whats IJV mean ?

owen

It stands for Manuvering stations..... That IJV talker would be on the bow stern straboard port or on the forcastle etc etc

to report whats going on to the bridge i would imagne especially docking, casting off, mid sea replenishment etc.

Manuvering..

Correct, it is the 1JV ("One Jay Vee") sound powered telephone circuit which we used for Sea and Anchor Detail