Unknown yellow flashlight/lantern ID: USN Battle Lantern

Siamundo

Not sure if this is the right category for this item. I thought because of it's yellow color it might be survival equipment related. Anyway, I have had this thing for probably 20 years or more stuck away in storage. The case is heavy plastic and the label inside has a zip code so no older than the 1960's. There is a mounting bracket on the back for affixing to something? Any ideas what it is or how it would have been used? I will probably schlepp it to a local military show in a couple of weeks and try to find it a new home. Any idea of what fair price may be? I was thinking maybe $20, but then again I have no idea.

post-2744-0-06700700-1563719000_thumb.jpg

Aha, so it would just hang on a wall available for use as needed? Maybe the yellow color is not survival related, but just makes it easier to see in dim conditions. Interesting that it is marked US and not USN, or would that be normal?

MastersMate

Different versions were hard wired in place and acted as emergency lighting in case of power failure.

Salvage Sailor

As the others posted, this is a USN battle lantern which would be mounted primarily on bulkheads (walls to you landlubbers) but also on overheads (ceiliings).

Here are two from my collection, a hardwired version which would light up if the DC power was interrupted and a portable version with the carrying handle and on/off toggle switch. The hardwired version also has a press button on/off test switch. They were waterproof and powered by the old large square dry cell batteries. Note that these also have two different mounts, a vertical and a horizontal locking tab to mate with the hardware welded to the bulkhead.

These two battle lanterns came off of a USN YTB (Yard Tugboat) being prepared for sinking at sea that I was salvaging parts and items from before it was 'deep sixed'.

x.jpg

y.jpg

z.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Not sure if this is the right category for this item. I thought because of it's yellow color it might be survival equipment related. Anyway, I have had this thing for probably 20 years or more stuck away in storage. The case is heavy plastic and the label inside has a zip code so no older than the 1960's. There is a mounting bracket on the back for affixing to something? Any ideas what it is or how it would have been used? I will probably schlepp it to a local military show in a couple of weeks and try to find it a new home. Any idea of what fair price may be? I was thinking maybe $20, but then again I have no idea.

Most of these 1960-1970 era battle lanterns were manufactured by the Roflan Company of Topsfield, Massachusetts.

Value? About $25, perhaps up to $50 for a Naval collector who desires one for their collection.

x.jpg