7 replies to this topic

#1 wwnuttycollector

wwnuttycollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,367
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

Hey Everyone

While I have been collecting WW2 USMC uniforms & gear for well over 40years, I occasionally picked up some uniforms when I was unsure of the era (POST WW2)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This jacket is one such piece - I would greatly appreciate any help identifying the era/period

Thanks

#2 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

I find it difficult to read the “cursive” font and always just skip past any posts using it.

#3 themick

themick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,105
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Definitely not an "issue" blouse, and not a WWII one.  My first impression is that it is an officer tailored blouse with enlisted rank on it.  The quality of the fabric is the kind of thing officer's blouses were made of, though I have run across proper privately made enlisted blouses with officer quality cloth were legitimate pieces.  The shoulder straps with are not sewn down with an "X" at their base suggests further it is not WWII, That was done away with in the few years after WWII.  The brass belt loops also suggest officer.  If you can, could you please post a close up picture or two of the buttons?

Steve

#4 wwnuttycollector

wwnuttycollector
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Definitely not an "issue" blouse, and not a WWII one.  My first impression is that it is an officer tailored blouse with enlisted rank on it.  The quality of the fabric is the kind of thing officer's blouses were made of, though I have run across proper privately made enlisted blouses with officer quality cloth were legitimate pieces.  The shoulder straps with are not sewn down with an "X" at their base suggests further it is not WWII, That was done away with in the few years after WWII.  The brass belt loops also suggest officer.  If you can, could you please post a close up picture or two of the buttons?

Steve

Here you go Steve

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Edited by wwnuttycollector, 17 July 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#5 themick

themick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,105
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

They appear to be normal enlisted buttons.  So, my conclusion is this is a privately made blouse for an enlisted man.  As I mentioned above, they are out there. I would put the era as post WWII, more likely Korean War era.

Steve

#6 wwnuttycollector

wwnuttycollector
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:25 AM

Thank you Steve for clearing up an old mystery for me.

I picked this up many years ago & forgot about it until coming across it in storage recently

Thanks again!

#7 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 199
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

I have seen a few like this over the years. Definitely officer quality but for an enlisted man.

My two cents.

Kurt

#8 wwnuttycollector

wwnuttycollector
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

I have seen a few like this over the years. Definitely officer quality but for an enlisted man.

My two cents.

Kurt

Thanks for the verification Kurt

Someone must have had a run of good luck with cards or dice and decided to splurge !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users