• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#151 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

He served aboard the USS LOWRY in the Philippines, Okinawa picket line, and the Japan home island raids, rescuing pilots and providing medical aid to damaged ships and his own crew.

Attached Images

• LT C. W. PEARSON 014.jpg

#152 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

LOWRY itself had many WIA and KIA sailors during 1944/1945.  These photos of the "Doc" are from the war log of the LOWRY 

Attached Images

• LT C. W. PEARSON (MC) Medical Officer USS LOWRY 1945 001a.jpg
  • LT C. W. PEARSON (MC) Medical Officer USS LOWRY 1945 002.jpg

#153 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110,893
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

LOWRY itself had many WIA and KIA sailors during 1944/1945.  These photos of the "Doc" are from the war log of the LOWRY 

Nice set!

#154 Navybean

Navybean
  • Members
    • Member ID: 45,737
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

Great topic, I was told by an older timer that during the 40s the sailors wearing the Grey Navy uniforms earned the nick-name of the “confederate Navy”.

#155 Justin B.

Justin B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,982
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for posting, it's great to see one of the shirts!

It is often said that the grays were "banned" in Nimitz's theater, but looking over a lot of photos you notice that the further along you get into 1944 and then 1945, the more they start to show up here and there, even in the western Pacific.

#156 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Indeed, I've posted several from sailors with long Pacific service with the Fleet and also in China.

Another Sea Story (legend) goes by the wayside

I've got about another dozen or so Greys to post, including several with the pants.

Aloha

#157 Justin B.

Justin B.
  • Members
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

I've got about another dozen or so Greys to post, including several with the pants.

Aloha

Can't wait!

MOH-awarded Coral Sea Dauntless pilot William Hall, a nice grays photo with gold chinstrap.

w_hall.jpg

https://www.history....0-G-386879.html

#158 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

Another ID'd USN Medical Officer - LCDR (MC), Probably an East Coast Doctor as it's a winter weight with lining.

Attached Images

• LCDR BAKER (MC) 002.jpg
  • LCDR BAKER (MC) 003.jpg

Edited by Salvage Sailor, 10 August 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#159 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

Made by Clothcraft Joseph & Feiss Co., Menlo Park (Cleveland) Ohio, once the largest clothing factory in the USA.  During World War II, Joseph & Feiss was a major producer of uniforms for the US Army and Navy.

The LT Grey in post #51 of this topic is also a Joseph & Feiss, despite the Halle Bros. label, as that was a J&F trade name.  Both of these Greys have Union labels in the inside pockets Identifying them as J&S made.  Another characteristic of these jackets are the upper outside pockets with snaps to keep them flush and two interior pockets in the linings.  The black buttons are also sewn onto the pocket flaps and not removable as many other brands are.  The three large black buttons are also sewn to the jacket and not removable.

Attached Images

• LCDR BAKER (MC) 004.jpg
  • LCDR BAKER (MC) 006.jpg

Edited by Salvage Sailor, 10 August 2019 - 12:48 PM.
typo

#160 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

Here's an interesting Grey as it's a very early date, September 25th, 1943.  Also identified to a retread LT who became a CDR on the East Coast, probably a staff officer.

Fully tailored, winter weight, with removable ringed buttons (always an early indicator) and no sewn snaps on the pocket flaps.  The pockets and seams are outlined with copper thread as you can see.

Attached Images

• CDR BURROUGHS 001.jpg
  • CDR BURROUGHS 002.jpg

#161 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

It has a full copper colored interior lining with two pockets.  Made in 1943 by Frank Cohen, Mill St., Newport Rhode Island (also home to the Naval War College, a large training station, several naval depots, and many training schools, plus the Seabees).  I'd wager that this officer was assigned to one of these facilities in WWII.  Frank Cohen was known for "elegant custom tailoring" in naval uniforms stretching back to WWI and they advertised in many naval magazines and graduation annuals.

Attached Images

• CDR BURROUGHS 003.jpg
  • CDR BURROUGHS 004.jpg

#162 US82Bravo

US82Bravo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,013
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

USCG gray shirt -

usmfGS1.JPG

usmfGS2.JPG

usmfGS3.JPG

Larry

#163 sjw83071

sjw83071
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,098
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

This is a great topic. I recently ran across this picture of King wearing what I assume is the gray uniform

11a.JPG

#164 sjw83071

sjw83071
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

But zoomed in the pants seem to have a HBT weave.....any thoughts

11b.JPG

Edited by sjw83071, 13 August 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#165 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

The cut of the shirt pocket almost reminds me of a USMC style shirt cut; but anyway it does appear it could be the slate grays  he is wearing. I'm confused more by his service cap; it appears to lack scrambled eggs on the visor. Anyway the regs called for differences in hat configuration (chinstrap buttons) when wearing greys, but those tend to go out the window in part or whole when flag officers are involved. Tough to be certain with monochromatic pictures without knowing more about the film and filters used when it was taken.

#166 sjw83071

sjw83071
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

The cut of the shirt pocket almost reminds me of a USMC style shirt cut; but anyway it does appear it could be the slate grays  he is wearing. I'm confused more by his service cap; it appears to lack scrambled eggs on the visor. Anyway the regs called for differences in hat configuration (chinstrap buttons) when wearing greys, but those tend to go out the window in part or whole when flag officers are involved. Tough to be certain with monochromatic pictures without knowing more about the film and filters used when it was taken.

Yes definitely hard to tell. You mentioned about the lack of scrambled eggs on his cap. I am not sure if I have seen a photo of King wearing the gray cap and it having the scrambled eggs. Phots of others of the rank that would have them, do. Also his belt is interesting.

#167 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

Yes definitely hard to tell. You mentioned about the lack of scrambled eggs on his cap. I am not sure if I have seen a photo of King wearing the gray cap and it having the scrambled eggs. Phots of others of the rank that would have them, do. Also his belt is interesting.

. The scrambled eggs were not required for the gray uniform. They are expensive, so I can see going cheap on them. As for the belt, civilian leather belts were very commonly worn, even with enlisted dungarees.

#168 Justin B.

Justin B.
  • Members
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

USCG gray shirt -

That's great!

But zoomed in the pants seem to have a HBT weave.....any thoughts

attachicon.gif11b.JPG

When King started experimenting with a working uniform in 1942, he had one made from regular green HBT and wore it instead of khaki with, I assume, a khaki shirt. Later he decided to go with the gray. I don't know if he had the green HBT dyed gray of he still wore it green later on. The uniform above does appear to be darker like the gray uniform but with HBT weave.

The original HBT uniform from August 1942:

king_hbt.jpg

The cut of the shirt pocket almost reminds me of a USMC style shirt cut; but anyway it does appear it could be the slate grays he is wearing. I'm confused more by his service cap; it appears to lack scrambled eggs on the visor. Anyway the regs called for differences in hat configuration (chinstrap buttons) when wearing greys, but those tend to go out the window in part or whole when flag officers are involved. Tough to be certain with monochromatic pictures without knowing more about the film and filters used when it was taken.

When King started overhauling officer uniforms in 1943, his idea was that gold chinstraps and scrambled egg would only be worn on "dress" blues and whites. For "service" blues and woirking khakis and grays, black chinstrap and plain visors, and the blues would be worn with a gray shirt and only have stripes on the outer half of the sleeve. When it was pointed out in the press that officers would have to spend a lot of money to buy new caps and chinstraps and to have the sleeve stripes altered, King had to back down and it all became optional the next month.

#169 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

Here's a rate not often seen on USN Greys (thus far)

Chief Carpenters Mate - No manufacturers label nor union label on this one, no inside pockets.  It is a very well made medium weight uniform very similar to Khakis I've had from other groupings.

Nice cut and good seams throughout.  All removable pin type black buttons.

Attached Images

• Chief Carpenters Mate Unnamed 001.jpg
  • Chief Carpenters Mate Unnamed 002.jpg
  • Chief Carpenters Mate Unnamed 003.jpg

#170 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 774 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Commandant of the CG in the gray uniform.  Of interest is the CG shield on the shank of the anchor.  Up to about 1943 the CG flag officer shoulder mark insignia was the same as the USN, just the anchor.

Attached Images

• Waesche grays.jpg

#171 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

Named full LT - Made by Jacob Reed's Sons of Philadelphia (1944), very similar to the Carpteners Mate Chief shown above, medium weight, no interior pockets, removable pin type black buttons.

Attached Images

• LT R.H. EMMICH 001.jpg
  • LT R.H. EMMICH 002.jpg
  • LT R.H. EMMICH 005.jpg

Edited by Salvage Sailor, 13 August 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#172 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

Named full LT - Made by Jacob Reed's Sons of Philadelphia dated 1944, with the matching button up trousers

Attached Images

• LT R.H. EMMICH 003.jpg
  • LT R.H. EMMICH 004.jpg

Edited by Salvage Sailor, 13 August 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#173 US82Bravo

US82Bravo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,013
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

Here's a rate not often seen on USN Greys (thus far)

Chief Carpenters Mate - 

Here is a private purchase uniform with the rate in bullion -

Gray1a.JPG

Tailor's labels-

Gray1b.JPG

Gray1c.JPG

Larry

#174 Justin B.

Justin B.
  • Members
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

Commander of a floating drydock in the Pacific, 1945:

80-G-K-5494.jpg

https://www.history....0-G-K-5494.html

#175 P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

When King started overhauling officer uniforms in 1943, his idea was that gold chinstraps and scrambled egg would only be worn on "dress" blues and whites. For "service" blues and woirking khakis and grays, black chinstrap and plain visors, and the blues would be worn with a gray shirt and only have stripes on the outer half of the sleeve. When it was pointed out in the press that officers would have to spend a lot of money to buy new caps and chinstraps and to have the sleeve stripes altered, King had to back down and it all became optional the next month.

Very true! The details of the hats slipped my mind (a good reason not to post when tired and awaiting a medical test :lol: )

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)