Earliest US Female Military Organization?

mars&thunder

mars&thunder

Does anyone know of a US based female military organization at any level (scholastic, state, or federal) that predates 1896?

Trying to determine the first time American Women experienced military training at the unit level. I am working on an article about this subject.

Interesting question. I look forward to reading your article.

Women have served in all wars dating back to the Revolutionary War. I will look thru some of my books to see if I can find anything for you.

...Kat

mars&thunder

Kat - yes. Women did serve in unofficial capacities (disguised as soldiers for example) or in civilian roles (the Civil War Sanitary Commission comes to mind), and also as contract nurses/doctors. Deborah Sampson of Massachusetts, the official Revolutionary War Heroine of that state is one of my great great etc grandmothers. What I am looking for is any female military organization at the scholastic/state/ or federal level in which women served as the nco's and or officers, which contained only or primarily women, they wore uniforms, did military drill etc. Any help you can give along those lines would be appreciated.