Tracing Indian Campaign medal assistance

ASMIC2971

I have a friend who is looking for information on who was awarded a numbered IW Campaign medal. I was wondering if anyone had access to the Indian Campaign medal rolls and would be willing to check on a recipient.

Medal is #1461.

Thank you in advance, I dont have any of the medal rosters in my library.

Sir,

Just a side note to your Indian Campaign Medal inquiry. U. S. campaign medals came with three different number and prefix combinations. The first medals issued were prefixed with "No." (No. XXXX) these are generally traceable by medal number and there are published rolls for these medals. Indian Campaign Medals No. 1 thru No. 1927 are traceable by their number. The next medals issued were prefixed with "MNo." (MNo. XXXX) and are not traceable. The third issue of medals were unprefixed numbers (XXXX) they are also untraceable.

So the question is does your friends medal have a "No." prefix in front of the number? If it does, then it was issued on February 4, 1910 to Sgt. Charles Moore, Retired. If it has a "MNo." prefix or is unprefixed number, then there is no way of determining who the medal was issued to based on the medal's number.

I hope this was helpful.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Robert and Bruce, thank you both for the information and clarification on this campaign medal. Back in the day I was actively looking for the medal rolls when I wanted to collect medals. It was sort of hard to do as a junior and high school student on my meager grocery store paycheck of $17.55 per week so I switched to patches.

Look forward to seeing you both at the next ASMIC show, I owe you both a handshake!