SVN named maroon beret find at antique fair

Tonomachi

I picked this up at an antique fair two weekends ago. It is a three piece maroon beret of the type manufactured in Vietnam during the SVN War. The name of the former owner (Special Forces Officer) is written down on a piece of paper and stapled to the inside of the beret. You can make out the impression of the missing Special Forces crest in the felt like material under the VIETNAM tab. So my question is were these tourist type berets purchased on the streets of Vietnam during the war and worn during parties or the like on off duty hours? Or would a US Army Special Forces soldier remove his authorized green beret and replace it with a maroon beret like this one while advising a SVN Ranger Unit or Airborne Unit?

post-1389-0-18685000-1563205738_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-18110800-1563205877.jpg

Here is a close up of the impression left behind of the missing US Army enlisted Special Forces crest.

post-1389-0-24985100-1563205976.jpg

firefighter

Yes & No. This was probably something he sent home to a family member. Still very cool and collectible. Chances are is that he was an early Advisor, Aug 1964

Yes & No. This was probably something he sent home to a family member. Still very cool and collectible. Chances are is that he was an early Advisor, Aug 1964

Thanks for the information.

I agree its more a souvenir sent home or bought as a take home item.