Help With AEF Soldier & Shoulder Patch ID?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Sewn on to the left shoulder of the American Doughboy in this French "Carte Postale" (postcard) is a Pioneer Infantry shoulder patch that is new to me.

It is comprised of what I'm guessing to be crossed, red and white axes on a circular background of an unknown color. Centered above the two axes is the letter "P", presumably for Pioneer Infantry, in white. The entire design is surrounded by a separate ring, also of an unknown color.

The only other insignia worn by the soldier in the image is an Infantry, Company "A" collar disc.

Assistance-wise, I need help identifying what AEF unit or organization wore a patch of this, or a similar design ... and help researching the names written on the back.

First, does anybody know? - Or has anybody ever seen a shoulder patch like this before?

As previously mentioned, written on the reverse of this postcard are two names ... They are: "William E. Baggett" and "Mr. R. J. Hicks" ... The word "France" is also written under, and on the side on which Baggett's name was written. This fact may indicate that the picture is of Willian E. Baggett.

Second, does anyone have the ability to research the two above names to see: A. Which name belongs to the unidentified soldier ... and B. to maybe find out what unit or organization he served with in the AEF. That information (if found) will hopefully will identify what organization wore that particular shoulder patch.

Thanks to all for looking at, and for helping to solve this 100, plus year old mystery ... World war I Nerd

post-5143-0-55756300-1563049905_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Enlargement of the unidentified Pioneer Infantry shoulder patch. To what AEF organization does this shoulder patch belong?

post-5143-0-63942000-1563050320_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Reverse of the postcard showing the two names. Which name belongs to the above soldier and in what unit did he serve?

post-5143-0-13101800-1563050364_thumb.jpg

William E Baggett went over with Company A of the 57th Pioneers in September 1918 (I thought it looked more like a 53? but the Company A collar disc is a match), he came back as a casual assigned to a Provisional Salvage Company. No similar RJ Hicks, they were all MGB, Artillery, or Cavalry on transport records.

world war I nerd

AustinO, you da' man. Thanks, your ID is much appreciated! I too was wondering if that was a number beneath the crossed axes or just a flaw in the print. You're right though. It does look more like a "53".

I think Mr. R.J. Hicks is who he sent (or gave) the photo to.

ASMIC has a very similar Pioneer Infantry listed as the 57th, but this is a 53rd, good work. Colors listed for the illustrated 57th are red P & numeral, axes, are red & white, all on a black disk. I would not be surprised if the colors on this patch are red/white/blue, and perhaps on black.

world war I nerd

After reading a letter written by a former private in the 57th Pioneer Engineer Regiment, I'm wondering if William E. Baggett actually did serve in the 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment, not the 57th Pioneer Regiment with whom he sailed. Apparently the men who made up the 57th Pioneer Infantry Regiment (approximately 3,400 or so officers and enlisted men) all entered the Army as draftees in September of 1918. They were shipped overseas with virtually no military training. Upon arrival, according to the extract from the above mentioned letter, either a number, or all of the men were designated as "casuals" and were dispatched as replacements to one of the other needy AEF organizations

"We stayed 3 days at Camp Merritt and boarded the largest and fastest ship on the water in those days, the Leviathan, the German ship that the U.S. captured on our Atlantic Coast when we declared War on Germany. We sailed on September 29th and arrived at Brest, France on October 8th, 1918. We remained at Brest for 3 days and nights. We were stationed at Cremay for 2 weeks and from there went to Le Mans. We arrived there on October 30th, stayed one day, and were then transferred by motor truck to Cérans-Foulletourte, France, where we were designated as “Casuals.” This is where we separated from the 57th Pioneer Infantry to Company K, 329th Infantry, 83rd Division."

Letter dated January 29, 1975, written by Henry F. Forte, formerly a private in the 57th Pioneer Infantry Regiment.

I'm wondering if William E. Baggett was perhaps sent as a replacement to the 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment. This could explain the numeral "53" (if that's what it is) embroidered under the axes on his shoulder patch?

For what's it worth, the 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment left Camp Wadsworth for France some two months earlier in July of 1918.

This is a curious one. I believe I have seen two jackets with this style patch, both of which had the numeral 57 below the axes. If I remember correctly, one was sold on Ebay and the other on the Advance Guard website.

AustinO: What state did Baggett come from? Getting his complete service abstract may resolve the confusion.

As World War I Nerd just noted, the 57th Pioneer Infantry was sent to France on the transport Leviathan on 29 September 1918. The regiment was struck by influenza shortly before boarding the ship and suffered many deaths. The regiment was immediately broken up for replacements after it reached France, with almost all of the enlisted men assigned to the 83rd Division for training when the Armistice was signed. The 57th was built around the surplus cadre of the old 1st Vermont Infantry (left over from the organization of the 26th Division), but most of the men were draftees from Tennessee who had only entered the service around the first week of September 1918. Consequently, they had received almost no training and would have been completely unprepared for service at the front. All of this is quite well documented. The soldier quoted by World War I Nerd, Henry Forte, goes on to comment about how much he and the other men in his company wanted to shoot their own officers. Captain Ernest W. Gibson is another good source of information: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015068360505?urlappend=%3Bseq=45

Companies of the 53rd Pioneer Infantry were scattered among the divisions of I Corps during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. The individual companies were brought back together after the Armistice and returned to the US in May 1919. My observation has been that this regiment primarily wore the I Corps patch. See the attached photo of Company A.

-hist3891

post-24076-0-67684600-1563065957_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

hist3891, thanks for the additional information and photo of the 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment. After that regiment's participation in the St Mihiel operation and it's continuing involvement in the Meuse-Argonne offensive, it would seem likely that it would be in need of replacements around the time the 57th Pioneer Infantry arrived in France.

Baggett was inducted at Deland, Florida, on 3 May 1918. The first unit he was assigned to was the MG Co. of the 53rd Infantry (Sixth Division). The 53rd Infantry was at Camp Wadsworth, SC, from 4 May to 26 June 1918. Baggett was apparently marked unfit for overseas service just before they left and transferred to one of the camp development battalions. He was transferred from the development battalion to the 57th Pioneer Infantry on 21 September 1918 (then being filled to strength for service in France), went overseas with the 57th, and was assigned to 329th Infantry (83rd Division) when it was broken up. He remained with the 329th until 21 December 1918. The rest of his service was with Provisional Sup. Co. Sub Depot 8 Economy AEF to 1 May 1919, then Provisional Salvage Co. QMC AEF to discharge. He apparently had no service with the 53rd Pioneer Infantry.

-hist3891

post-24076-0-45852500-1563069710_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

More great, and important information hist3891. However, the new data doesn't help us solve the mystery regarding Baggett's shoulder patch. It only further muddies the water.

I have a new theory, but without better, or more information, I'm reluctant to share it at present.

world war I nerd

hist3891, for what it's worth, here's a 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment group that was sold by Advance Guard Militaria some time ago. This image seems to confirm that that regiment wore the 1st Corps insignia.

post-5143-0-95952000-1563110127_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I've also seen a 52nd Pioneer Infantry Regiment service coat with a 3rd Army shoulder patch. That coat was nearly identical to the coat worn by this unidentified member of the 54th Pioneer Infantry Regiment.

post-5143-0-59496200-1563110506_thumb.jpg