Early USMC Mameluke

ponyradish

For your viewing pleasure I would like you to see this early USMC Mameluke Dress Sword. This one was made by the renowned B. Pasquale Co. of San Francisco, CA. They were in business from 1854-1900 or so. This sword has a lovely ivory handle and the blade etchings are stunning. This is an uncleaned piece with dark patina. I believe this sword dates form Span Am. War or earlier. These swords from this period are very scarce so enjoy the pics. Comments welcome. Pony.

post-938-0-11887700-1562965017.jpg

post-938-0-49705300-1562965026.jpg

Sorry, no name. Wish I did. There is a panel for a name but it is un-named. Were they all named? Do you agree with the time period for this sword?

First off beautiful sword and thanks for sharing. Your dates in Pasquale are a bit off. As you know they were a famous militaria dealer supplier in the San Francisco area. Italian immigrant Benoit Pasquale was listed as a toy dealer in 1858. From 1863-1865 still listed as a toy dealer and purveiyer of fine goods. From 1868-1878, Benoit and Ernest are listed as manufacturer of flags, etc. Firm continued as sellers of flags, military goods and regalia to present day (my reference is dated 1999 so I am not sure if they are still in business today but assume they were until the turn of the 21sr century). The trick to dating this lies in the exact name on the sword. In 1873 the name was B. Pasquale. In 1892 the name changed to B. Pasquale & Sons. In 1901 it changed to B. Pasquale Co. Inc. There are various different addresses listed for the company over the years as well that could be helpful if there is an address on the sword, but I doubt it. In 1903 the firm was run by Edward V. Pasquale but no mention of any more name changes.

I have a similar sword named by a different manufacturer and mine dates to 1918-1922. I see no appreciable differences between this one and mine. I assume from the pics that the handle is ivory? An educated guess would be this sword was likely manufactured in the WWI time period due to the increase in men and officers for the war effort. Simple mathematical statistics would suggest that, but let us know the exact name of the company on the blade. Kevin

Kevin, Here is what's on the blade behind the guard, B. Pasquale Co. San Francisco Cal. Yes, The handle material is ivory. Thanks, Pony.

Well based on that, I would have to say your sword might date between 1873 and 1892. That is pretty cool. Can you show more photos? Would love to see the other side of the grips, and the length of the blade and scabbard. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, I figured that was the time period according to my research.. It's a killer sword, only wish it could tell me the history behind it. Just to hold it is an honor. I will post the other pics you requested.

That is a really great sword, thanks for the added pics. I love the untouched heavy patina. Looks like it has been sitting in an attic for 125 years! Wonderful piece. Too bad no name is attached, but it sure does speak to you.

Well I spent much of the afternoon looking at old posts on Mameluke swords and this one just stumps me. As already posted, the makers name suggests a pre 1903 sword here. Another mark of perhaps an early sword is what appears to be a double fuller near the bottom third of the blade. However other posts suggest the style of lettering with the fancy letters and scroll work on this sword were part of the 1918 changes that exist still today. It appears on early 1875 pattern officer swords (Marines went from the army style pattern 1851 sword to the Mameluke again in 1875) that the etch was typically US Marines and not spelled out United States Marines, and that the lettering style was block letters not the fancy font this one has. So this sword is a bit of a mystery, with an early makers mark, posssibly early double fullered blade and later style font and scroll work. I am hoping others might weigh in to try to better date this beautiful sword. Kevin

Getting some really interesting comments on this sword. These older USMC Mamelukes just are not that plentiful. Please keep the comments coming so we can all get a little more educated on these rare birds. Thanks again, Pony.

Your sword is post-1915. Warguy is right: The early swords from 1875 to 1915 had a much simpler etching on the blade. Here is what the 1875 regulation said: "Blade rounded on the back, with the words "United States Marines" in a scroll on each side". As time went by, this was often shortened to "U.S..Marines" on the obverse side. and on the reverse side the officer's name often replaced the "U.S. Marines" on the scroll. In 1915 the etch design was changed to the much fancier design seen on your sword which remains current to this day.

post-160923-0-34133300-1563130578_thumb.jpg

My guess is your sword is probsbly a WWI era sword. Although still available as an option, few later mamelukes were made with Ivory grips. I'm not sure when Pasquale stopped putting their name on swords they sold, but I don't think it was long after WWI. Whenever it was made, it's an excellent example with that great patina and ivory grips..

Here is a 1900 USMC sword that belonged to Captain Herbert Jay Hirshinger. Hirshinger was commissioned Second Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps, on January 11, 1900. He was promoted to First Lieutenant on July, 23, 1900. Hirshinger was ordered to China as part of the China Relief Expedition and was on duty in China from August 22, 1900 to October 9, 1900. Hirshinger was promoted to Captain on December 7, 1903. He then served two tours of duty in the Philippines and at various posts in the United States and as commander of the Marine Guard on various United States Warships. He participated in the expedition to Panama in 1903-1905. Hirshinger then served with the Army of Cuban Pacification from June of 1907 to December of 1908. Captain Hirshinger was assigned to command the Marine Detachment on the U.S.S. Rhode Island on November 26, 1915. The Marine Detachment was temporarily assigned to foreign shore service in Santo Domingo. They sailed on the scout cruiser U.S.S. Salem for Santo Domingo on May 1, 1915. They transferred to the U.S.S. Sacramento and sailed to Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo on May 26, 1916. Captain Hirshinger landed with his Marine Detachment under fire from the rebel forces at Puerto Plata at 6:40 am on the morning of May 31, 1916. He was shot through the head by a sniper as he was disembarking the landing boat. He died at Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo on June 1, 1916. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia.

post-9487-0-63764600-1563372029_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-05070200-1563372037_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-08528800-1563372043_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-15561800-1563372086_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-26158800-1563372227.jpg

Beautiful sword with great history. I know these older Mamelukes do not surface very often so maybe we can get some interest going. Thanks, Pony.

The owner of my sword, Jay McClay Salladay, was a close contemporary of your sword’s owner. He was commissioned less than a month before your guy. Salladay purchased the sword from F. J. Heiberger, a prominent Washington, D.C. military outfitter. I suspect your sword was probably from the same retailer. I’m not certain, but I think the sword’s actual maker was likely Ames.

post-160923-0-50799200-1563571512_thumb.jpg

James McClay Salladay, born 10 July 1878, was the son of a Chicago-based merchant who was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in 8 December 1899. After a few months at the Marine Barracks Washington DC, in April 1900 he was assigned to Mare Island Naval Base, California. In Jan 1901 he was placed on detached duty to the Bremerton/Puget Sound, Washington area where he established a camp to train sharp shooters for which he received acknowledgment in the Annual Report to the Secretary of the Navy, He returned to Mare Island in July and in September was assigned to the USS Wisconsin. In August 1902 he was re-assigned to command the Marine Guard aboard the USS Boston. Upon completion of his sea duty in Mar 1905, then Captain Salladay was assigned to recruiting duty in Pittsburgh. In April 1906 he was reassigned to Washington as commander of a provisional element of 480 troops being prepared for shipment to the Philippines. Among his command was a young lieutenant who would later gain fame in WWII, the future LtGen “Howling Mad” Smith. They departed Washington on 10 April 1906 for the Philippines via San Francisco and arrived in Olongapo on 11 May. In the Philippines he held a number of different command as well as some staff positions. He became sick in August of 1908 and the doctors sent him back to Mare Island for treatment. He remained in the hospital for treatment until November, then was placed on convalescent leave until 18 Jan 1909. The records don’t state what the nature of his illness was, but I suspect it was malaria. He seemed to have had a recurrent disease which dogged him throughout his career and may have contributed to his relatively early retirement in 1920. After return from convalescent leave, he was assigned to the Marine Officer School at Port Royal, SC as a company Commander with additional duty as an instructor. In Jan 1911 he was reassigned to Mare Island as a Garrision Courses Instructor in charge of target practice. He was given command of the post prison as an additional duty. Eventually the prison command job became his primary duty. From April to June 1912 he was back in the hospital and on sick leave. In Dec 1912 He was ordered to the US Legation in China as a company commander. He arrived in January 1913, but his tour was foreshortened in August when he was reassigned to the Philippines. There appears to have been a health issue. In the Philippines he was assigned as a company commander at Civite. In Jan 1914 he was sent from the Philippines to a provisional regiment being established on Guam, but in February his illness recurred, and he was sent to the Naval Hospital at Mare Island. After being released in late April 1914 he was assigned as Chief of the Recruiting Division in Chicago where he remained until Jan 1916. In February 1916 he assumed command of the Marine element on the USS Oklahoma. Unfortunately, his illness recurred and in July 1916 he was sent to the Naval Hospital in New York where he remained until October. In November he was attached to the 2nd Provisional Brigade in San Domingo, Dominican Republic. He actually arrived in the DR on 11 Dec 1916 and was made adjutant for all US Forces in the San Domingo area, and soon was made commander of Ft. Ozama. He also engaged in field operations against insurgent forces. On 21 Apr 1917 he was notified of his promotion to Major with a date of rank back-dated to 29 Aug 1916. In January 1917 the United States purchased the Virgin Islands from Denmark. One of the main reasons was to forestall any expansion of German influence. It was feared the Germans might pressure the Danes to sell them the islands or give them the right to establish a sub base there. Shortly thereafter the transfer of sovereignty, on 6 April 1917, the US declared war on Germany. On the 14th of April Maj Salladay was given command of the Marine element being sent to garrison and defend the newly acquired island. It was apparently quite a prodigious effort to quickly set up the guns and other infrastructure needed to defend the islands. It is described in the book Through the Wheat: The U.S. Marines in World War I by Edwin Howard Simmons. On 28 Aug he was appointed to temporary grade of LtCol with DOR of 1 Jul 18. He remained in his post as commander of Marine Barracks Virgin Islands until May 1919 when he was transferred to Marine Base Parris Island, initially as Officer-in-Charge of Instruction, but after October as the Commanding Officerr, MB Training Camp. On 6 Nov his illness returned, and he was hospitalized until 4 Dec 1919. On 15 March he was retired in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and moved to St Helena, Napa, California where he lived the rest of his life. He died on 16 Dec 1957 and was buried at the St Helena Public Cemetery.