Springfield 1903 Rifle, Lend Lease...?

digi-shots

digi-shots

There is a google book by Gordon L. Rottman, North Vietnamese Army Soldier 1958-75, that shows this photo of a group of girls who were members of the village self defense militia.

Does anyone have any more information on this or know the serial numbers or serial number range of these WWII Lend Lease rifles?

I have one that was given to me by a Navy veteran that is a Vietnam "capture".

Thanks!

post-4361-0-12036100-1562596953_thumb.jpg

To my knowledge there are not definitive SN block records for M1903's apart from their date of production by manufacturer and some very loose records compiled by Springfield Research Services (they used to have an index online, now they're a subscription service only)....that database only had maybe 1 in 1,000 rifles. Basically, someone went through all the ordnance records they could find at NARA that had S/N data and made an index. Lots of the S/N's are for items that needed depot repair.

The only database for Vietnam I know of is the "Item losses" database on NARA:

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=178&cat=WR28&tf=F&bc=,sl

You need to select the "show more fields" button and then you can search by S/N. If you want to see an example, type in Pistol into the "ITEM FULL NAME" field and search....boom, list of all pistols reported lost by unit and serial number in Vietnam....how many were actual losses or "lost" in duffel bags going home? Who knows? Items given to the ARVN would not be on here.

The database is for Army items only and covers 1967-70.

ALSO, for military vehicles, you can type the frame serial number (with the wildcard symbol for the last few digits) and the registration number will also be shown. if you look for vehicles in your S/N block, you can estimate what the reg number on the hood would be if you're restoring something.

Note the early type site which pre dates the 1903a3 model of rifle.THese could be early Remingtons or even pre WW2 built.

Note the early type site which pre dates the 1903a3 model of rifle.THese could be early Remingtons or even pre WW2 built.

Good point Ron, looks like the girl closest has a pistol grip "C" stock.

digi-shots

Thanks for all the replies. I will give that NARA site a look.

Here are some pics including the serial number... which puts it about 1931.

post-4361-0-42926400-1562616409_thumb.jpeg

post-4361-0-50225400-1562616418_thumb.jpeg

WHats the barrel date.I have a 34 dated barrel and a 38 dated and a 42 dated.Have a 1911 dated early rifle and a rifle dated in the 20s that was a Special Target rifle.Then couple the run of the mill 1903a3 43 dated ones.

digi-shots

Ron, the date is hard to read.... 12-?7

I am guessing 1917... can this be possible with a 1931 action. The stock is the early standard straight stock.

Ron, the date is hard to read.... 12-?7

I am guessing 1917... can this be possible with a 1931 action. The stock is the early standard straight stock.

Yes, entirely possible for a 1917 barrel at this time. Many at this time were built off of used but serviceable parts as replacement weapons for earlier low number receivers. Mine is a 1930 receiver with a 12-18 barrel.

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

NO EXPERT . IIRC The USA gave thousands of M1903's . and M1917's to China There was an organization called "The Shanghai"

Volunteer Corps ( ???) that got . many rifles . SRS has a few columns denoting the destination of these guns . Hope I am not confusing the thread.

I had someone from the CMP do a check with the SRS and unfortunately no hits and no other 1903’s close to this serial number.