Navy WWII Purple Heart

usmedalman

Bruce Linz

Yes I would say privately engraved. Especially if it is to a Wounded-In-Action sailor. I have a couple of similar Purple Hearts that I think were engraved in theater prior to presentation. Interesting that the ones I've all have dates on them too. Do you know anything about Walsh?

usmedalman

Bruce, Only that the medal came with an American Campaign medal and an ETO medal. I am sure it is WIA, but the engraving style doesn't look like any of the post-WWII privately engraved pieces I have seen.

KASTAUFFER

Very nice privately engraved Navy or Marine Purple Heart. I commonly see the dates engraved on these kind of WIA Navy PHs.

Kurt

usmedalman

Thanks for the feedback. Attached is a picture of the front. I have never seen this type of damage to the center plastic heart almost looks like they didn't put enough plastic into the mold.

post-3347-0-83340200-1562539910_thumb.jpg

usmedalman

That is heat damage

What could have caused this? Seems like it would have needed to be pretty hot. Do you think this happened during production or after?

What could have caused this? Seems like it would have needed to be pretty hot. Do you think this happened during production or after?

Since it doesn't appear that the medal was exposed to flame, my guess would be it got hot enough sitting in an attic or storage unit. If the Purple Heart was found locally to you in AZ, I would not at all be surprised if it was exposed to heat enough to melt the center over the years.

Also, I agree that this is 100% privately engraved.

Dave

KASTAUFFER

Since it doesn't appear that the medal was exposed to flame, my guess would be it got hot enough sitting in an attic or storage unit. If the Purple Heart was found locally to you in AZ, I would not at all be surprised if it was exposed to heat enough to melt the center over the years.

Also, I agree that this is 100% privately engraved.

Dave

The weather in Ohio might be hot enough too :)

Kurt

Wharfmaster

The majority of engraved Navy WIA Purple Hearts I have seen include a date. My guess, this was an official practice near the hospitals, overseas and in the US. However, it needs to be proven.

post-525-0-60898100-1562861632_thumb.jpg