Show The Flag

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

The flag of America flaps in the wind as a mixed bag of casuals debark from a ferry on to an unnamed troop ship for their return voyage back to the United States in 1919.

post-5143-0-36934500-1562263768_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

American troops of an unknown regiment fresh from France march with their flag through the streets of Newport News, Virginia, circa 1919.

post-5143-0-59346500-1562263880_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The stateside grave of Private Edward Berryman, Company D, 106th Engineer Regiment, 27th Division. Pvt. Berryman was killed in action in France on October 2, 1918. He was buried in a French cemetery until his remains were repatriated to the United States in the early 1920 at the request of his family. An American flag, the flag under which he fought and died, aptly stands guard over Pvt. Berryman's final resting place.

post-5143-0-97820400-1562264309_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The last of my posts for today is this WW I era postcard dedicated to all those brave Americans who died for our nations flag.

post-5143-0-79232500-1562264526_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Dated just before WW1 so it probably saw WW1 service although its greatest battle was with moths in a Maine attic.

post-573-0-51676000-1562347205_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Yes and I even built the frame for it so I can enjoy it everyday . I think it is the tenth I've framed. Better than folded in a box in the closet.

Here is a watercolor portrait of Lt. Col. Davis Cronin by Thomas Place. Great flags.

Thomas Place was born in East Meadow, New York, on November 6, 1841. He worked as a clerk before enlisting in the United States Army on September 20, 1862 at 600 Broadway, New York City, New York. He mustered into Company H, 1st New York Mounted Rifles as a Private. The Mounted Rifles served principally at Fortress Monroe, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Williamsburg and Yorktown, Virginia. During the Norfolk expedition the Mounted Rifles participated in the clash of the ironclads, firing their Sharp’s carbines from shore at the CSS Virginia during her voyage down river toward the Battle of Hampton Roads with the U.S.S. Monitor. The regiment took part in over 116 battles and skirmishes but sustained no severe losses during the Civil War. The Regiment’s heaviest casualties were at Scott's Mills, Virginia, in May of1863, when 28 were killed, wounded and missing. In the operations against Petersburg and Richmond in May of1864, it sustained a loss of 13. During the Siege of Petersburg the Regiment was often in action, but met with no large losses, its total casualties amounting to 43 killed, wounded and missing. It was active at the final assault on Petersburg, April 2, and saw its last fighting at Murfree's Depot, Somerton and Jackson, North Carolina. Corporal Thomas Place Mustered Out at Richmond, Virginia, on June 12, 1865. Place was a prolific artist. He created dozens of drawings in pen-and-ink, charcoal, and oil paint. He depicted every aspect of soldiers’ lives, from muster to leisure time. Place produced a large sketchbook/scrapbook of his experiences during the Civil War which is now owned by the Virginia Historical Society. After the Civil War, Place worked as a wood block engraver, producing illustrations for Harper’s Weekly and other publications. Thomas Place died in New York City, New York on July 26, 1922.

post-9487-0-82336800-1562362871_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-41171200-1562362877.jpg

world war I nerd

Thanks everybody for the fine additions to this thread, but there's got be a lot more American flag themed images out there ... Right?

Let's get em' posted here where everybody can see em' ... Okay?