WWI Pilot's French Brevet

5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty

This came with a lot attributed to a U.S. WWI pilot. He completed his pilot training in France in 1918 and a newspaper article I found mentions him receiving his Brevet. I am assuming this is a replacement, not his originally issued badge since it is not numbered on the back.

post-96854-0-16171600-1562169532_thumb.jpg

5thwingmarty

Here is the back of the badge. All of the photos I have seen of originals show them to have solid wreaths, not hollow backed as this one is.

post-96854-0-48998100-1562170220_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice wing. This is a private purchase item. It was made by the French firm Gardille and was very popular among US airmen who were trained by the French. It is my understanding that only French military personnel were awarded numbered badges. Another Gardille wing worn by an American is in Robert Pandis’ book - the pilot had his brevet number inscribed on it. Philip Bartlett also has this wing in his book.

Lt Ralph Mero, 3rd AIC, Issodun, France told me that none of the Americans were issued the French pilots badge. In fact they had to purchase their own locally. His was purchased in Paris and he had the number of his brevet engraved on the back with his name. He also told me that the number on the brevet did not match the number on the badge that was issued to the French pilots.

5thwingmarty

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear the wing looks legitimate. I need to get a shadow box put together to display this with his US pilot wing, ribbons and a photo.

Marty