Photo

USMC EGA's of Chinese origins... perhaps? maybe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

All, these birds came to me with recently acquired with a lot of emblems, insignia and accoutrement's to a Marine General who sereved in China in the 20's, the group is posted in this thread: http://www.usmilitar...d...c=32876&hl= Also there was a Chinese jewler made Captains bar in the group, shown in that thread as well.

These are very interesting….for sure! I have never seen any set EGA’s like these or resembles the character, the eagles are mounted on pegs. A matched set, no hallmark evident, extremely light, perhaps better said feather weight – a very course screw post and thin as well. Nut is frozen on one. “Brig” has examined these as well, in person. We both feel these are of “asian flair” – Chinese made?, any - all opinions are welcomed.

Semper Fi, Darrell

gen_hill_010.jpg

gen_hill_011.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 25 May 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

gen_hill_EGA__s_012.jpg

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

gen_hill_EGA__s_016.jpg

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

gen_hill_EGA__s_009.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 28 December 2008 - 08:27 AM.

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

gen_hill_EGA__s_019.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 28 December 2008 - 08:28 AM.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

;)

gen_hill_EGA__s_005.jpg

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

once again, beautiful emblems that just scream asiatic to me. I look forward to the replies these generate. Nice to see some really unique pieces brought to the table

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

Darrell, I am in agreement with you and Brig. They are crudely done yet beautiful in their own right. The coarse thread and general lack of alignment with the landmasses, anchors and eagles makes me think these were custom ordered and copied from a set of H&H first style pattern collar birds. The emblems also seem to have a high bronze/copper/brass content from the blue oxidization on them. Very unique pieces, and like Brig, I am looking forward to seeing what discussions are generated here.

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

Jeremiah - your likely very correct with the idea of these being someone's attempt of following those early patterns of the 20's... as so many showed the continents tilted one way - or the others, a seemingly endless variety or variation - again with the "feet off" character. Wanted to bring to your attention the rear of this Eagle. Upon my 3-4th viewing it noticed what appears to be something of an attempt for a hallmark, the outline of which can be seen in the picture... a square outline. The impression if you will can be seen with the naked eye along the top edge... the rest only appears with a loop and in the photo. I do not recall seeing anyones hallmark that resembles a box shape? s/f Darrell

gen_hill_EGA__s_009.jpg

#10 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users