101st Abn LRP Vietnam

itshistory

The blue patch on this jacket refers to a Long Range Patrol element of the 101st Abn in Vietnam. Since I'm not so well schooled in these types of units maybe someone can put it right. I have found that the 101st had a Ranger Company of the 75th Inf, L Company. But LRP and LRRP show up as Division elements and there seems to be a connection between L Company and Recon patrols. Is this a fact? There is a similar patch that is clearly linked to C Troop 2/17 Cav. The inference is that C Troop made insertions of LRP or LRRP into certain areas of South Vietnam and Laos. Any one else know of this operation?

IH

post-12336-0-89372400-1561759669.jpg

The reunion type field jacket and patch are aviation related. Prior to Jan/Feb 69 the various LRRP units in Vietnam carried different designations, like Company F 58th Infantry for the 101st. After the beginning of 69 these units became Ranger companies of the 75th Infantry.

Aviation assets from the 101st went into Laos supporting SOG and I believe into Laos during Lam Son 719 ferrying ARVN troops. I believe only Aero Rifle Platoons from Cav squadrons could go into Laos and only to rescue or recover downed aircrew and aircraft. I am not 100% on that but I believe it is correct.

To my knowledge, no LRRP or Ranger units ever went in Laos.

Thanks. The coat owner was with the 179th ASHC which was opcon to the 101st during Lam Son 719. His unit ferried ARVN troops into Laos. He says he got the patch because he thought it was associated with Lam Son 719 operations of the 101st Div assets. Other than considering it a sort of memento his unit had no title to it. This kicks the ball back to C Troop 2/17 Cav who did fly into Laos in support of SOG and the reference to Ashau is likely the delivery of LRP or LRRP into that area of South Vietnam.

IH