• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

You mean the P-40 pilots who were so skilled they were recruited to fly B-25's off the deck of the USS Hornet for the Doolittle Raid? 

Where, indeed, do we find such men?

……..and Spitfires in the Eagle Squadron.

#27 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image
Here for example is a genuine vegan leather flight jacket being worn by a live model at a fitting for Midway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 RobL

RobL
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,257
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

yeah, but the telescopic gun sights are what people are going to go the movie for anyway.

#29 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 16,960 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

yeah, but the telescopic gun sights are what people are going to go the movie for anyway.

I know that is what I will be going for!

#30 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed.  Last Spring, fabricated some telescopic sites and a few other things for their aircraft.   From my perspective, it looked like they were trying to get most things right.   I guess we'll find out in November!  ;)   Rob

These sites look nice. Which type of airplane were they used on in the movie?

It drives me crazy that they have the later model B-25 in the Doolittle Raiders sequence. They had the wrong one in Pearl Harbor too.

I will still see this movie just because I love any movie with planes. 😁

...Kat

#31 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

Kat
They are for the Ju-87bs
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 GIKyle

GIKyle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 537
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

You mean the P-40 pilots who were so skilled they were recruited to fly B-25's off the deck of the USS Hornet for the Doolittle Raid? 

Where, indeed, do we find such men?

If I was trying to impress Kate Beckinsale... I would figure it out.

#33 JDK

JDK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,901
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

I think it looks great! As mentioned, it would be pretty tough not to use mostly CGI. Im just glad they are telling the story. Its supposed to mostly follow the journey of Dick Best. Commander of Enterprise Bombing Six. I look forward to it!

JD

#34 38Driver

38Driver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,384
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

There will never be a war movie that will please the rivet counters. It’s impossible. Movies don’t teach history. They can however inspire someone to pick up a book. I can think of many that did that for me from the time I was a kid on. Some I’ll see now as an adult and cringe at the inaccuracies. Then I realize that because that movie got me to the library to start reading about the events it was based on, that ultimately it did it’s job.

Just sayin’

#35 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,787
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:01 PM

As JDK points out, with few exceptions, the aircraft and ships of the types used in the battle simply don't exist anymore so CGI was the only alternative. They did go to the trouble of building full sized replicas when possible. From what I've read, and heard from people who were on set, the director and production company were fully educated about the correct historical details of the equipment and dress. Any variations we will see in the finished product were a result of financial restraints, or directorial decisions for dramatic effect. The B-25s in the Doolittle sequence, for example. Only a later model that was flyable, and in the local area, was filmed, so the CGI, although incorrect, was modeled to match that plane, not the real B-25Bs launched from USS Hornet.

38Driver gets it, and put it quite eloquently in his comment.

#36 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

There will never be a war movie that will please the rivet counters. It’s impossible. Movies don’t teach history. They can however inspire someone to pick up a book. I can think of many that did that for me from the time I was a kid on. Some I’ll see now as an adult and cringe at the inaccuracies. Then I realize that because that movie got me to the library to start reading about the events it was based on, that ultimately it did it’s job.

Just sayin’

Attached Images

• skotan-Thumbs-up-smiley.png

#37 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

We can only hope this "new", version Midway movie will be better than the original. Just eliminating that silly love story sub-plot would make a big difference. I hope they won't over do the CGI effect in regard to the planes.  We don't need another over the top war movie like that horrible Pearl Harbor flick. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users