Iraq Veterans ACH

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all. I have my Grandfathers issued Brodie and helmets from ww2 thru the end of the cold war. I was fortunate to pick this up at a reasonable price to cap off my collection. The vet was a staff Sgt in the Army, served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its quite a step up from the first ten kevlar I am familiar with.

Its padded inside with 3/4 inch foam pads instead of a suspension and leather sweatband.

The chinstrap setup is way better and it has a nape pad and cool little features like something to keep from getting waxed by airborne friendlies and the surefire light on the side. The sure fire also incorporates a infrared beacon that I could see thru my camera. Its a far cry from the M1 and the first Gen kevlar with its annoying brim.

Quite an advancement INMHO.

post-181333-0-98999200-1561509295_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Welcome to the ACH collectors club!

Thank you! The ACH to me is a really impressive helmet.

Mine came with n pads so I picked up a new set for it.

The clasp is broken on the chin strap but the seller included

a black replacement strap with nape pad to replace the green one.

The cloth covers are impressive with the FLIR tags and I like that the unit patch is sewed onto it.

Another addiction!!!!!

Very nice helmet. Ive got one with ucp cover too. Mine came with nvg mount and ballistic nape pad. Here in Europe you still pay big money for the ACH helmet, thanks ITAR.

Rooster,

Looks like a good worn ACH from the photos u have shown; and the aging on the side mount.

However the Cover was not with the helmet overseas... Due to the proper dirt/sweat buildup on the chinstrap. Its a nice one tho. I'm not trying to detract from the combo. If that cover spent time outside/over there it would be well faded, dirt and the fabric would be well fitted. Even if the Soldier only had limited use with it in the field over a few months.

VR
Peg6

The Rooster

Ahhh great point ! Thank you. Could be he threw a fresh one on it?

But I see what you mean. It does look really fresh. The pads were gone on the inside.

I bought a set and put them in. Doesnt really matter to me if it was or wasnt as I got it on ebay... And not to

disparge the seller. Im taking his word for it. I wrote and had some correspondence with him and he was a staff sgt

infantry squad leader. He seemed kinda glad to be out. Said he put in 11 years.

The thing that gets me is what an improvement this is over the last gen steel pot I wore and the first gen kevlar which I wore. Loved the M1... Hated the Kevlar... But this thing!!!

Whoah !! Its really something. Its a bit snug on my fat head but its comfortable.. No leather sweatband no webbing..

I never had to wear it around so some of you who have know... But I like it.

Thank you Pegasus6

Happy Fourth!!!

Rooster,

So the seller was the Soldier? There is not much value $ in these, honestly the cost to a soldier with an ACH on his clothing and records CIF/receip costs a Soldier more to replace if he keeps it, than buying a used one and turning that one in.... A lot of them on the market are civilian ones, or ones issued (for a long period new ones, and at mobilization site) they are not always transferred to a soldiers records. thus you have these ACH's floating around that technically are still government property. In this case: If the Soldier is the seller- I think more than likely the scenario is, This was his issued helmet, Straps and the helmet shell itself deployed. The Cover he wore overseas was tossed, he was issued a replacement one, the inside pads get FUNKY FAST, and yes those are also expendable items and new ones would be issued. So I would say yea likely this helmet tells the story, and would make 100% sense from my own experience.

It would be the equivalent of an USMC M1 getting a new sweatband, and new Camouflage cover after he got back from serving on Iwo. But the shell, and the chinstraps still = funky and right.

No problem.

Happy 4th to you as well.

VR
Peg6

The Rooster

Roger that Peg6,

When my guard unit shifted from the m1 to the kevlar, I had an m1 around the house and I turned it in instead

and kept my issue pot. I could see how he could have kept it. I prob paid a bit much at a hundo...

But I like it. It caps off my collection.

I should say, I hope it caps off my collection!!!

Or I should say... I am going to try my very best to let this be the cap of my collection!

God Help Me!!

Enjoy the 4th!!!

Roger that Peg6,

When my guard unit shifted from the m1 to the kevlar, I had an m1 around the house and I turned it in instead

and kept my issue pot. I could see how he could have kept it. I prob paid a bit much at a hundo...

But I like it. It caps off my collection.

I should say, I hope it caps off my collection!!!

Or I should say... I am going to try my very best to let this be the cap of my collection!

God Help Me!!

Enjoy the 4th!!!

$100 is not bad at all. The salty patched helmets go for more than a plain jane unused ACH.