A Soldier, His Sweetheart, & His Bringbacks

Brig

This portrait sold for a whopping $257 on eBay a few weeks ago...he certainly had a good eye

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to take guess that 7th AD was his "going home" unit....with that many overseas bars...unless its something odd like he was stationed in Alaska or Hawaii at the beginning of the war. Great photo.

USCapturephotos

Exactly the kind of photo I collect. I was surprised to see that one go so high. It is a great shot!

Paul

Hookemhorns88

Nice picture but how could he have spent that long a time overseas and still been a PFC?

Kat

He probably kept going AWOL in trying to spend more time with his sweetheart! She is quite the looker.

Nice picture but how could he have spent that long a time overseas and still been a PFC?

Kat

Easy. He liked to have a good time. A really good time. :D

Kat

This was not a rhetorical question.

Why would someone spend that much time overseas and still be a Pfc? Would it generally be for disciplinary reasons? Would it be because of where/how he was deployed?

Kat

I know it's a black and white photo but is that not a good conduct ribbon?

Which is another reason why I keep asking. If he was such a discipline problem to cause him to remain a private after all those years overseas, would he have a good conduct medal?

Kat

Which is another reason why I keep asking. If he was such a discipline problem to cause him to remain a private after all those years overseas, would he have a good conduct medal?

Kat

The Army Good Conduct Medal, during WWII, was issued for honorable and faithful service for one year. He served for a minimum of 3 years, but as many as just under 6. I have to imagine he was a good soldier for one of those years!

In all honesty, and I'm sure you know this, without a name, we'll never know the answer as to why he remained a PFC.

The Army Good Conduct Medal, during WWII, was issued for honorable and faithful service for one year. He served for a minimum of 3 years, but as many as just under 6. I have to imagine he was a good soldier for one of those years!

In all honesty, and I'm sure you know this, without a name, we'll never know the answer as to why he remained a PFC.

I know we will never know his story. I was asking in a general situation not his situation. Would it generally be for disciplinary reasons or some other reason?

Yes...disciplinary reasons. It didn't take much to get busted down back then...muster rolls are full of examples...2 minutes late off liberty/shore leave/furlough...catching VD...unauthorized booze possession...punched/disrespected/talked back to an NCO/officer he didn't respect...falling asleep on duty/post...and on and on and on.

Yes...disciplinary reasons. It didn't take much to get busted down back then...muster rolls are full of examples...2 minutes late off liberty/shore leave/furlough...catching VD...unauthorized booze possession...punched/disrespected/talked back to an NCO/officer he didn't respect...falling asleep on duty/post...and on and on and on.

Brig,

Thank you.

...Kat

Salvage Sailor

The photo was posted elsewhere on the forum just after the sale (not sure where), and this is another one from the eBay seller

EDWIN CARPENTER of the 7th Armored Division stationed in Italy

MP40 7th AR Soldier - Copy.jpg

Brian Keith

Great Photo! I don't think I've ever seen a studio portrait of a soldier with his American girl and showing a captured firearm. Pretty neat! Yes, she is hot. (did I just say that about someone's great grandmother?)

BKW

Brig, thank you for posting this picture. All kinds of cool stuff going on, can anyone explain the overseas cap piping and the US sphere. almost looks like officer piping :huh:

I would saay the cap is piped in the armor colors...the cap itself looks to be aa darker shade which not uncommon for the enlisted to wear caps in the shade and gaberdine material like an officers.Have a couple infantry and airborne enlisted my self.