This is a new term to me.

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just stumbled on this ad on ebay item # 123812854595. It's a WW2 1943 dated American, Fork & Hoe M1 Garand Bayonet. Very nice condition, refinished after shortened. What caught my eye was the term "Assassin Patina". What the heck is that? In 52 years of collecting I have never heard that term. I guess it's the parkerizing. Check it out, If someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. SKIP

militariaone

Greetings Skip,

New term to me too, I suppose when Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is too tame there's always room for Assassin Patina!

Here's the sellers full description:

WW2 1943 American Fork & Hoe M1 Garand Bayonet[Assassin Patina]. AFH 1943.. Condition is Used. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail. Bayonet Only, no scabbard. This bayonet is in excellent exceptional condition! It has a beautiful assassin patina and has been professionally sharpened! As you can see, it’s factory edge is intact, top & bottom! With just a little more work, you could shave your arm with it! The makers mark is deep and crisp and clear. The grips have just a few handling marks that give it the WW2 appeal! This bayonet is 74 years old!!! In my opinion, the AFH M1 Garand bayonet is the best bayonet made by the USA .ever! If for any reason you are not happy with your purchase, I will gladly accept your return as long as it is in the same condition as when you receive it! Buyer pays return shipping and a $10. Handling fee. No exceptions. Thanks for looking! Jim,

V/r Lance

P.S. Hopefully, they spend their sale's money on a calculator 74 Years?

post-31352-0-87434000-1561377680_thumb.jpg

Lance- Thanks for posting. I agree with Steve, "a trumped up term to sell the bayonet" SKIP

These new terms are just “ Wordsmithing”. Attempting to impress the uninformed as you all say to help sell whatever. Reminds me a lawyer speak.

Just for fun, I looked up "patina" in the dictionary. "patina-a fine greenish crust on bronze or copper, formed by oxidation". Suspect we may all have slightly misused the word for quite a while. But not to that extent. LOL! SKIP

These new terms are just “ Wordsmithing”. Attempting to impress the uninformed as you all say to help sell whatever. Reminds me a lawyer speak.

Probably watching to much Pickers or Pawn Babies.:D

Please add Black Army to that list.

:)

Comes in three fashionable colors: Midnight Black, Starfire Bright and Assassin Patina

Doubt anyone is going to suspend or revoke the sellers "poetic license" anytime soon. Looked over his other items and IMHO, I didn't think his (buy it now prices) were over the moon. Also has several items in open bid auctions letting the market place set the final value.

Maybe it's in reference to using a rusty dagger? I found a couple of things online -

"Before the advent of modern medicine, a rusty dagger would have made a much better assassination weapon than a new shiny one."

AND.....

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.09.50 PM.png

This thread Is hilarious! I am wondering if it is a typo possibly? My phone has auto corrected some words pretty bad before that I haven't caught!

Please let me know when there is one available with the ultra-rare "Ninja Finish". I've been looking for one for years.

TH1

zzyzzogeton

The fuller runs through the tip so It's a cut down blade that probably never got issued.

My guess is that it was made full length, but was still in-house when the change order came out for the shorter blades. That guess is based on 2 cut-downs I have that have a secondary company mark on the spine indicating who did the cutting.

I have UFH with a UC in the spine and and UC/PAL version. I have seen RIA/UFH and UFH/UC double stamped cut-downs.