Americal Guadalcanal Veteran's Blouse

Allan H.

Here is a four pocket blouse that was worn by a hard-fighting veteran of the 182nd Infantry Regiment which was assigned to the Americal Division in World War II. I picked this one up way back in the mid 1980's when I worked at Manion's auction. We had a prolific picker by the name of Hugh S. who combed a good deal of the eastern seaboard, especially items from his home state of Massachusetts. As I recall it, this was one that went unsold on the auction and for some reason, I figured that I would try to collect a uniform from each of the Infantry Divisions in WWII. I think that what hurt this blouse the most was the fact that it was missing one of the DUIs on the lapel. Back then, US uniforms missing insignia was the proverbial "kiss of death."

Recently a forum member was looking for some examples of Americal uniforms, so it reminded me that I had this blouse, and with today being a grey, rainy day at home, I figured it was high time that I took some photos and posted it to the forum.

Allan

post-151-0-13710700-1561324660.jpg

post-151-0-04829900-1561324692.jpg

Here is the laundry number and after doing some research, I believe that I have found the original owner. Anthony "Tony" Dziuszko served in G Company of the 182nd Infantry. I phone information on him at this website where I also found the attached photo of the veteran-
http://www.182ndinfantry.org/tony-dziuszko/

Here is what was written about him-
Tony Dziuszko, from Danvers, MA, was one of the soldiers who joined Company G in the spring 1941 draft... Over the course of the war, Dziuszko found himself repeatedly moving up and down through the ranks. He was a good soldier in combat, which led to promotions. But he liked to drink and raise hell in the rear area, which led to him being stripped of rank.
Dziuszko wrote letters home to his future wife throughout the war, and his observations on everything from combat to the various locations where Company G was stationed are crucial to understanding the experience of these soldiers. His letters are now part of a collection at the William L. Clements Library, at the University of Michigan... Dziuszko passed away in 2001."

The 182nd spent a whopping three and a half years in combat fighting at Guadalcanal, Buna and in the Philippines.

Allan

post-151-0-35757500-1561327568.jpg

post-151-0-36592400-1561327697.jpg

post-151-0-61207900-1561327721.jpg

Sweet! Interesting to see the early Navy PUC and I am glad you identified it. I was still looking at laundry numbers.

Units of the Americal Division all appear to have earned a Navy PUC on Guadalcanal, and the one on the jacket looks like what I would expect on a WWII blouse. What amazes me most about these units is that the men in them saw quite a bit of combat in their 3 1/2 years of overseas service. I find it interesting that a guy could go through four bloody campaigns and end up with a Purple Heart to show for it and not much more. Of course, "Tony" would have been entitled to a Bronze Star medal based on his Combat Infantry Badge, but he evidently didn't wear this uniform after he took it off in 1945. It is also interesting to me that he never had a Ruptured Duck sewn to the blouse. The 182nd website says that Tony had some discipline issues and that his ranks went up and down, but I do not see any evidence that the blouse has ever had stripes sewn to it.

Since finding that there are letters that he wrote in the archives at the University of Michigan, it might be interesting to see if they have been digitized and that they may be available to the public. They may help to flesh out the veteran a little more.

Allan

That is really cool that you could get the document. THANK YOU for posting it. Looking at the uniform and the discharge makes me question whether this might have at one time been Tony's jacket and have been reissued to someone else? The reason I bring this up is that the jacket does not appear to have ever had chevrons on it. Tony is listed as a PFC and had a highest rank attained as a Sergeant. Additionally, Though it is only a few days short, it appears that Tony should only have six o/seas bars and there are seven on the cuff. Third, the discharge does not list a PH, but there is one on the ribbon rack. The discharge only lists three campaigns, but the 182nd had credit for four and there are four stars on the PTO ribbon.

Now, all of this could be logically explained away as I have met a lot of WWII veterans who received wounds and got a PH in the hospital and the award orders never made it back to the unit, so here is the vet with the medal, yet it doesn't show up on the discharge. The missing campaign? Maybe an oversight by the clerk typing the discharge up? A lack of PFC chevrons? I have known lots of veterans who never bothered.

Since this didn't directly come from the vet or his family, there is still a certain amount of uncertainty. I think we can all agree that it is a 100% un-monkeyed-with jacket, but who wore it home might be a question for further discussion. Thoughts?

Allan

I think everything is legit on the uniform, I think the only thing that bothers me the good conduct looks totally different than the rest of his rack.

The ribbons have a celluloid covering on them that has yellowed. The GC ribbon on top is a pin back example that appears to have come with the medal in the carboard box of issue. Since it doesn't have the celluloid covering, it hasn't yellowed, it looks quite different, but it has been on the uniform forever. In 1945, they would have looked fairly close.

Allan

The ribbons have a celluloid covering on them that has yellowed. The GC ribbon on top is a pin back example that appears to have come with the medal in the carboard box of issue. Since it doesn't have the celluloid covering, it hasn't yellowed, it looks quite different, but it has been on the uniform forever. In 1945, they would have looked fairly close.

Allan

Oh alright, I assume he forgot to have that one put on his custom rack and got the ribbon with the medal and then added it. As I was thinking about it, how would he have had the WWII victory ribbon if he was discharged 11 days after the ribbon was authorized, that seems odd to me.

• 3 weeks later...